Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 07:05 PM

Default JJ on the Button behind a Min-Raise

Not going to post a hand history because it's a fairly simple question...
Level 2, Blinds 15/30, and it's folded to MP who minraises to 60 (second time he minraises, the first time he took down the pot on a AKx flop and didn't show), then folded to me on the button with JJ. I didn't want the blinds getting in cheap with something like Q8s, so I decided to make it 150 to go. Much to my chagrin, MP pushed all in and I had to muck my jeffries.

Would it have been a better idea to call and hope the blinds fold to the minraise or hope I flop a set? Fold to the minraise? Or was this the best line to take?

I realize that this wasn't the biggest hand in the world, but I find I have a difficult time playing after minraises with marginal hands that don't want multi-way pots, but also can't stand a reraise.

Any help is appreciated,
Remus
Old 07-27-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: JJ on the Button behind a Min-Raise

What was the buyin here? I think this is an important question as I believe there is a distinction in the message that a min-raise delivers at different buyins. I believe I've read several posts that a min-raise is often an indicator of AA or KK, but this is inconsistent with my experience at the $10-$30 buyin levels. At these low levels I've seen min-raises pre and post flop with a variety of hands, most commonly weak hands such as KTo or JQo. On the $10-$30 tables, I play this exactly as you did given your button position. From any earlier position I probably just limp behind the T60 raise and look for my set. From the button I try to take the pot down pre-flop or isolate the raiser with a bet of T100 or so. I definately lay to the all-in reraise. Nothing wrong with your play IMO.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 PM

I think your raise was damn near perfect. Would you have rather just called and seen a great flop of 259 rainbow and then he bets into you on the flop. How do you handle that?

You gave him a chance to show you what he had was better then you before the flop, and thats where I want to know it. ONly thing better would have been to call and hope to flop a set and treat JJ like it was 55(yes I call min raises on the button with just about any pair loooking for a set) It can pay off big. This is just hoping to get lucky though.

I think you did the right thing. If he is a LAG you will see his colors come out later. He may have easily had you way beat.

In short.. You played it exactly how would have played it.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:39 PM

i think that is the right play with low blinds. i agree that players here will often minraise with many worse hands than yours. it is OK to call occasionally but i think you made the better play.

Pat
Old 07-27-2004, 10:07 PM

please interpret: "LAG???"
Old 07-27-2004, 10:46 PM

LAG means "Loose Aggressive"

I looked for a nice set of poker terms/abb. for you but couldnt find a great one with everything listed.