Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Foxwoods - 7/25 - 5-10 Report

Showed up at the Woods at about 2:00 pm and put my name on the 4-8 board - the list was about 25 names long so I thought 1/2 hr - 1 hr max. After about 20 minutes with no names called, I started checking out the 4-8 tables and to my dismay, I didn't see a stack under $100 - this could take a while. I decided to check out the 5-10 board and saw only 2 names on the list, checked-in and was seated in 5 minutes.

This was my first wack at FW 5-10 w/kill. I'd heard the horror stories that it was a wild game that basically plays like 10-20 or a local rock garden with no action. To my surprise this game played exactly like the typical FW 4-8 game - 2 good players, 3-4 average players and the rest were clueless people seeing 80-90% of the flops. About 20% of the hands played at 10-20 - very manageable and made the game more interesting.

The only issue that I had was that I actually won the first hand I played and the pot was over $100 which turned the next hand into a kill. I had no clue about the $10 winner's blind and when someone told me it was a "luxury tax", I folded before I realized that it was a live bet - didn't matter anyway but lesson learned.

The only issue in this game is the large swings in your stack. In the 1st hour, I'm up $400 then take some heavy wacks in a kill pot the next hour and I'm back to even. Remember, some of these clueless folks will actually call your aces down with pocket 2's and spike the 2 on the river - the kill can make these bad beats even worse.

Also, I've suggested to FW management that all Yankees jerseys be banned during Red Sox-Yankees games - especially Matsui jerseys [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (gotta love when a grand slam doesn't matter!!!)
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods - 7/25 - 5-10 Report

Joe U and I were there yesterday, we were both wandering around some. Joe in a NYY Matsui shirt and I in a Red Sox cap and hawaiian shirt; we had to stand out as I'm a 10" taller than Joe U.

I'd heard the horror stories that it was a wild game that basically plays like 10-20 or a local rock garden with no action.

I dont' know where you heard this, as I've stated over and over that this is the juiciest game at Foxwoods.

I folded before I realized that it was a live bet - didn't matter anyway

No, that matters a lot. If a blind is dead money, it'll go in the middle, if it's live it'll stay in front of you and you'll have action when it's your turn.

Remember, some of these clueless folks will actually call your aces down with pocket 2's

It is great game, this kicks a$$, eh?

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-26-2004, 08:12 AM

I think I saw you guys talking togther on the main middle aisle - I thought you'd be taller [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!. Now I know who to stay away from!!

The missed kill blind didn't matter to me because luckily I had nothing and the flop totally missed me!!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:33 AM

I thought you'd be taller

Now, I was slouching because I was talking to Joe U. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-26-2004, 02:14 PM

Just read your reply to my report. Sounds like we were, in fact, at the same table.

I didn't see either Joe, but I wasn't really looking around as I was either paying attention to the game or trying to kill the waiter with my eyeballs. Sounds like a near miss though.

I agree about the swings - I took a couple big losses in 10/20 pots and it put a big dent in my winnings (turning them into losings, which may not even be a word).

Good game though, look forward to playing it again sometime.

NT
Old 07-26-2004, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd heard the horror stories that it (5-10 Hold'em at foxwoods) was a wild game that basically plays like 10-20 or a local rock garden with no action.

I dont' know where you heard this, as I've stated over and over that this is the juiciest game at Foxwoods.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the 5-10 Hold'em is a great game most of the time. I think the 5-10 Omaha is by far the fishiest game at foxwoods. Try it some time. You won't be disappointed. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Bubbagump
Old 07-26-2004, 06:12 PM

Omaha or Omaha 8? I've thought about trying both but haven't tried either yet.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:22 PM

Thanks alot pal! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You're just lucky the glare from my bald head didn't permanently blind you up there!

Joe
Old 07-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Omaha 8. I don't recall ever seeing Omaha (high only) spread at Foxwoods.

Bubbagump
Old 07-26-2004, 10:45 PM

I thought other posts said it was Rock City. How fishy do you remember it? If I were to stick to A2xx, A3xx, and A45x hands, would I be ok? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]