Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2004, 08:30 PM

Default biggest SNG pet peeve.

alternatively titled "don't you hate it when this happens"....

Short Handed....

Big stack in the small blind. Shorter stack in the Big Blind. Folded around to the Big Stack who... CALLS the big blind.

anyone else care to add some things?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:56 PM

Default Re: biggest SNG pet peeve.

Getting outdrawn to finish fourth. I don't know if that is a "pet peeve" but I do hate it.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:20 PM

My biggest pet peeve is finishing in any place other than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 PM

You wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is finishing in any place other than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

no , 4th is far and away the most painful.
but I'm not sure it is a pet peeve.

My self induced peeve is timing out because I'm watching TV. Double peeved if I'm watching celebrity poker......
Triple peeved if it's a re-run.....

hyde
Old 07-26-2004, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting outdrawn to finish fourth. I don't know if that is a "pet peeve" but I do hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate. I'm currently on a run where this seems to happen to me practically ever sng. My pet peeve is a special case of this (not always on the bubble but usually at some fairly critical point) when the cards punish me for making a good read. For instance, if I bet with top-pair, get raised all-in, think, decide that I'm still ahead and call, only to find that I do have the other guy outkicked but the next card pairs his kicker. Naturally it's no fun to get beaten when I was legimately behind or made a bad call either, but it's defintely more aggravating when I had it figured correctly and die anyway.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 AM

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm in the big blind with marginally over 2BB. Say blinds of 200/400 and I have 830. All my money has to be go in this hand but its folded to the SB who min raises to 800. That really winds me up for some reason.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:07 AM

Default there is only one

i have just one pet peev.

people who raise with nothing when someone is all in.

a couple of weeks back, get down to fourth, someone gets very short, goes allin, called by a guy with some suited Q and me with AJ. board hits me nowt all to the turn, when the other guy BETS his flush DRAW. its a small bet, but im not calling with ace high, cos he has a legitimate hand right??

he shows his draw, other guy shows a small ace (8 i believe) and an ace of another suit comes on river. me and the other guy who folded preflop were more than peeved when i said what i had.

and its happened to me oh so many times before.

i dont believe in a hard fast rule of always check it down, but only put it heads up when you reckon your hand is legit.

Phill
Old 07-26-2004, 06:23 AM

When your down to 4 and the situation is 1 huge stack and 3 wee stacks and you battle for ages keeping you head above water and you keep knocking the other wee stack down and the chip leader keeps doubling them up with loose calls time after time after time. Personally I find this the most psychologically and physically draining situation in an SNG (it doesn't do my health any good either cos my I tend to chain smoke during these situations [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).
Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 AM

I hate this.

However I should love it because it demonstrates that that particular player lacks a very intrinsic understanding of a game he has just invested 100$ to play.

It is a much more hatefull situation when you are on the bubble and you ae short stacked to and the big stack keeps giving the other small stack free looks at the flop. It then gets even more hatefull if the big stack plays the flop passively.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: there is only one

Betting on the draw like that is correct in some circumstances.

If the all-in player is seriously short stacked and/or the one betting his draw has a large percentage of the chips, the bet is perfectly valid as long as there is money in the sidepot.

k