Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2004, 02:55 AM

Default Simple yet puzzling

You hold a mid pocket pair, 77-99, blinds are either in first or second level (party). Its folded to you on the button or in the CO.

Raise or limp?

There are good arguments for both.

-Jason
Old 07-24-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Simple yet puzzling

raise.

I like to take control of the hand, plus there is a very good chance im ahead.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:08 AM

I just call. If I'm playing it to have the best hand, I would raise; but chances are I will win the blinds, or someone will call and I will bet out the flop and take it there, or they will pair their overcards and I have to shut it down. I would say that the latter happens often enough that I would rather limp, play it for set value only and try to win a bigger pot the times I hit my set, and if I don't hit I minimize chip loss to 1xtiny BB.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:03 AM

It's not possible to adress this problem fully without relation to the table's dynamics, and your specific position. Thing is, early on, you usually don't have any significant read.

1. Limping - against players who tend to make most of their mistakes post-flop, i.e, playing passively PF but over-playing their hands with every piece of flop they caught, limping is certainly better. Also, if you know that the players behid you are simply loose PF, love to see flops, and/or very aggressive PF, you can limp and fold with your mediocre pairs, if someone just decides to raise big behid you, and moreover: you don't achieve much by raising, since it's too tough to narrow such a field.

2. Raising - against more observant opponents, who might think you are trying to take down the blinds. If you get called and hit your hand, it will be very hard to put you on it. I love hitting my set after raising with my PP PF, because if my opponent hit their over-card, they'll have a very hard time getting away from their hand. OTOH, even if you don't hit, in many cases (especially if you have position), you can sense your opponent's weakness and take it down. It will happen many times, even when over-cards hit, since you already have a made-hand. Your opponents will hit only X% of the time.

These are only some brief and general thoughts. As much as I go deeper into the game, I realize how important is also the difference between 77 and 99, for instance. I'll raise more often with 99 than with 77. Actually, with 77 there will be cases when folding is a better option (77 UTG early on is very far from a big hand. In certain tables it is a loser) but there are cases where 99 is virtually a monster.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:01 AM

Actually I canīt see too many reasons to call first in on the button or CO with 77-99. On the other side, I can see way more reasons why one would prefer to raise, therefore:

RAISE (this is not even close)

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 07-24-2004, 08:37 AM

i always am surprised when players say they will take control of a hand by raising. i am not sure why that is a valid reason for raising, if it were you could raise with any hand. with low blinds you wont be taking control of anything.

Pat
Old 07-24-2004, 08:40 AM

Taking controll doesnīt necessarily mean to win only the blinds. When you raise with 77 and the flop comes AK5 you will be able to pick it up pretty often. Had you only called lots of hands will bet out only since they donīt expect you to have an A or K.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 07-24-2004, 08:57 AM

In cases where folding 77 is really best, then deciding to call or raise with 99 can't be right by much. I'm not disputing that the difference is there, but we're not talking major differences.

I honestly don't see where 99 could be a monster but 77 isn't. If you are facing a big raise, there is only one real possible hand in between them.

-Michael
Old 07-24-2004, 08:59 AM

Correction:

After writing my reply, I've noticed the OP is about 77-99 in the *button or CO*, after it's folded to you. In this case raising is usually much better than limping, IMO.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Yes, maybe by saying "monster" in relataion to 99 vs. 77 I have exaggerated. But against certain opponents, weak-loose ones, I'll be ready to go pretty far with my 99, as opposed to 77. Of course there is "only one hand" in between, but notice that this means (significantly) more flops that are great for 99, but pretty tricky for 77 (exactly how many is a question for the probability forum). All the 9-high and 8-high flops are great for 99, somewhat risky for 77 (against very loose players).

And of course: you're ahead of 88 AND 77, when you hold 99. The added value of winning against 77 and 88 when you hold 99, is important. It's the same as the added value of winning with QQ against JJ and TT. This is not a minor factor, against a loose opposition.

Generally, I'd feel much more confident w/99. It's close, but not very close.