Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 04:11 PM

Default There\'s A Bad Man on the Right (er... Left)

3/6 at the Taj. You have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+2. Two limpers to you. Normally, you'd raise here, but...

Your left hand opponent ("LHO") is a raising machine. Truly, all he does is raise. Never calls, never folds, just raises. It's like he has a one word vocabulary, and it's "raise."

If you raise, he'll re-raise. That will almost certainly eliminate the rest of the field and make it three to five handed to see the flop (and maybe two handed, although that's unlikely given the calling stations).

If you limp, though, he'll raise -- and it'll likely be a meaningless raise. You'll get callers as you normally would, plus, you may get a re-raise (and can identify a potentially strong opponent). Otherwise, you can then limp re-raise, to which he will almost certainly response "raise," and -- well, it's hard to say how many people will see the flop.

What do you do?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: There\'s A Bad Man on the Right (er... Left)

I would raise everytime. If he is going to re raise that is exactly what you want. Let him knock out most of the rest of the field and isolate him as its likely your holding dominates his. Plus AQ plays badly in multiway pots especially one that is large meaning you might need to hit the board big to win.

Maybe others think im wrong.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:34 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

raise. i'm happy to play AQs heads up.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:48 PM

Fuhgitabowdit, easy raise. You want to play AQs HU against LAG. I'd be inclined to c/r him on the flop no matter what fell.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus AQ plays badly in multiway pots especially one that is large meaning you might need to hit the board big to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, this simply isn't right, suited or unsuited.

Second, it's AQs, and it plays quite well in multi-way pots.

I'd probably still raise it, but I understand the question - considering he probably has the best hand, I believe he's looking to play a big pot with a limp-raise. That's more complicated. I'd simply raise, b/c of course AQs plays quite well short also.

It's just a nice hand.