Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 AM

Default TP on the river

Should I be waiting for a better opportunity here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">BB (t7675)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t5825)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, BB calls t400,

Flop: (t1225) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1200</font>, BB calls t1200.

Turn: (t3625) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t3625) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t4000</font>, Hero calls t3800 (All-In).

Final Pot: t11425
<font color="green">Main Pot: t11225 (t11225), between BB and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t200 (t200), returned to BB.</font>
Old 07-20-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Re: TP on the river

No comments -- maybe I went over my hand quota? Or is this so obviously bad that no one had the heart to tell me?

In any case, I'll give it a single bump and then let it die.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:25 AM

It looks to me like BB was slowplaying an overpair or hit a set and got greedy when the river came, afraid you would check behind.

Top pair is a hand I like to be betting and raising, not calling. I would only call here if I knew I was against an aggressive player who would make a bet like that because he felt the big bet would take it down on the river.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks to me like BB was slowplaying an overpair or hit a set and got greedy when the river came, afraid you would check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty close -- he hit a straight on the turn and was trying to trap me there.

[ QUOTE ]
Top pair is a hand I like to be betting and raising, not calling. I would only call here if I knew I was against an aggressive player who would make a bet like that because he felt the big bet would take it down on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where my limit experience gets me in trouble. There is so little trapping and slow-playing in limit (since it's not really worth it) that I don't recognize it when I see it in the SnGs.

It was dumb of me to risk the entire tourney on a crap hand like this. I felt like I had the better of him because he was very weak during the heads-up play (no raising to speak of). Although maybe I was fooling myself and he was waiting me out since he had a 2:1 chip lead most of the time. In any case, we had played about 20 hands heads-up to this point without a lot of change in the stacks. I think I needed to be pushing pre-flop more -- I'm still learning heads-up play.