Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 01:34 AM

Default J-10 off, straightforward play

The thing is I hate unsuited connectors. But I don't think you should be controlled by your biases if you see what appears to be a postive Ev. Anybody disagree that this was one of those situations Pf?

Also, as I was wondering with the nuts on the river...what in the world do you think my opponent has?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 bets, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, SB folds, MP1 3-bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

--Zetack
Old 07-14-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: J-10 off, straightforward play

I see nothign wrong with the way you played it. Arguments could be made about the JTo limp PF but with so many callers I think it can be +EV in long run.

I put your opponent on KQo

Jim
Old 07-14-2004, 01:44 AM

Hey Zetack,
I think the pf call is fine in this position, especially if the blinds don't raise a lot. I put MP1 on KQ or Q9.

-Jaran
Old 07-14-2004, 01:48 AM

yeah on the button when noone has raised this is a call for sure.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:50 AM

Hi Zetack,

I muck this pre-Flop and don't think it's very close. JTo is trash, even on the Button with 4 limpers.

I'd raise the Flop. If that leaves us heads-up, great. He doesn't necessarily have a Queen, so I may have just cleaned up 6 of my outs. If the raise gets cold-called, then that's dandy too for EV and free card on the Turn.

-Brian
Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 AM

I would have raised preflop with the open ended. Best case scenario, you hit the straight on turn, but a decent case scenario is you get a free river card and elminate other players.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:06 AM

I disagree with Brian on the preflop play. At the micro levels, I think it is fine to play J-10o in LP with several limpers, just so long as you realize that you are really looking for two pair or a straight as opposed to top pair and know when to release hands after the flop.

I agree with Brian on the flop play. I would have raised the flop with the OESD. Shouldn't you be trying to thin the field here? There are two diamonds on the board and you are also vulnerable to a better straight if you let people with overcards see the turn for just one bet. Is it that bad to try and get heads up with the preflop raiser?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:16 AM

I muck this pre-Flop and don't think it's very close. JTo is trash, even on the Button with 4 limpers.

Brian,

I used to feel the same way but now I know it's very different. This is an easy button limp, even in multiway pots.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-14-2004, 09:58 AM

TJ doesn't make bad straights.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:02 AM

I was initially thinking it may be a good idea to raise on the button with the OESD for a free card, but some of you guys are saying call. Why would you call in this situation rather than raise?

Is it because his draw isn't as strong as he may like, since he doesn't have overcards and there's a flush draw?