Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 PM

Default SnG Twilight Zone

I had a bizarre experience in a $100 Party SnG today. In a $10 I might expect to see anything, but in a $100... well, let's just say poker retains the capacity to amaze...

With 6 players left, and the blinds at 100/200, I was going absolutely nowhere with a stack of T620. Then I pick up KK in the CO. Even better, the player to my right, a huge stack, goes all-in for 4495. I call, of course, and am somewhat surprised when he flips over J4s. Oh well, he probably figured he could bully the table and got caught. My hand holds up (amazingly!) and now I have 1540.

The very next hand I am UTG+1 and pick up QQ. ONCE AGAIN, that same player goes all-in for 3875. I call and he shows... J7s?! Once again my hand is good and I become chip leader with 3380.

Two hands later I get lucky when I call a miniraise in the BB with J6s and the flop comes J62. Even better, the raiser had AJ, and I bust him out.

A mere two hands later, I am on the button with AKo and that same loose player to my right, who is still the second-highest stack, opens all-in for a third time. I call, he has A7o, once again my hand holds up.

We've all seen plenty of bad plays online but I've never experienced anything quite like this. In the space of six hands I went from T620 six-handed to T7520 three-handed, with absolutely no decisions required on my part. It's as if the poker gods suddenly decided it was my turn to win a SnG, no matter what. I feel like I should give the money back or something!