Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 09:15 AM

Default I\'m dropping down to 10+1 from 30+3 to play Aleo\'s guide verbatum

i've never followed Aleo's guide to the T, but I'm beginning to follow it even less and less and my ROI shows it. -30% this month in 25 $30+3 SnG's.

so i'm dropping back down to 10+1 to not only go back to the way i play, but to play EXACTLY how the guide suggests to see how much more effective it is than the way i play.

ie: i've never raised 3BB at level 4+ b4 with good cards or to steal. 2BB seemed to work for me-> Less risk to stack, and same results. if they had something, the called else they fold.

but i didnt follow the 3BB rule for long to give me that big of a sample.

Then after I've re-trained myself, i'm going to see how well the guide plays at 50+5, 100+9 and 200+15. (after i won enuf to have the bankroll to play at these levels [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 07-13-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: I\'m dropping down to 10+1 from 30+3 to play Aleo\'s guide verbatum

I've never completely read the entire wonderful famous guide, however I do remember Aleo saying that no one followed it verbatum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 10:02 AM

I remember Aleo even posting that he thought following it to the letter would make you a small winner/break-even player at 10+1, and that his bubble play is much more complicated than the guide suggests which is why he was able to become successful at the 10+1 (and higher) SNGs.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 PM

FWIW I think that the starting hand criteria for the early levels is way to strict. If you follow that section, you'll wind up at the 50/100 level with T600 in chips and fighting to stay alive.

I do agree, for the most part, with the betting philosophy, however.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:56 PM

You'll be giving quite a bit of information to those who have read the guide as well if they realize what you are doing. A few bluff raises will cripple you. Maybe if you play the right time of day you can sneak under the radar..

On a simialr note, I've always wondered if there is a place online where you could use sklansky's improved all-in system (as detailed in TPFAP) and make a tidy profit. Definitely not the 10+1 SNGs, but maybe at higher stake SNGs or the 3 table tournaments.

Anyways.. good luck. If you find the right competition you will certainly do well, but look out for those who've read the guide.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:27 PM

I think making the minraise steal could be most of your problem as you will get more callers with garbage hands that can outflop you. I made this mistake last night in a $30+3 and ended up in 3rd. He would have folded to a 3x raise or an allin but with just a minraise he called. Then of course I bet into him... my bad.
Do you have your distribution of finishes? Can you tell us how you usually go out?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:42 PM

Just as a thought, which others have echoed. Playing any guide, not only Aleo's verbatim won't make you a long term winner, you need to take your own creative license.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:54 PM

i think your going to be greatly disapointed with the results if you try to follow his guide 100%. for instance, my bubble play is very different sometimes depending on the game. And you will find yourself making poor all-ins, and maybe finishing just out of the money.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 PM

I agree with the others. It's a reference - not a bible.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM

I find Aleo’s guide useful for grounding me back to the basics after I’ve been watching too much Gus Hansen on the WPT.

Aleo himself also says it won’t work at higher levels, and has said it is not a complete and accurate way to play even at the 10+1s, but instead is a simple way to to be ROI+ if you are too new to make appropriate adjustments.

--Greg