Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 10:45 PM

Default Tough turn decisions $6-$12 at the Borgata

After almost a 2 month layoff I returned to the Borgata this afternoon to play some poker.

I had two hands where I feel I made a questionable turn decision. I want to see how other members of the forum would play these hands.

Both hands took place at a $6-$12 game. For both hands I considered the villian a decent opponent.

Hand one

Two players limp from early position, a middle position player (Duvel)raises the button calls both, the small blind folds and I defend my big blind with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The remaining two players toss another $6 into the pot and five of us see the flop.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I lead out. I thought of check raising however I preferred betting in this spot. A lot of times at this table after a raise nobody would bet including the original raiser. One of the limpers called my bet one of the limpers folded,Duvel raised the buttom called both bets cold I called and the first limper folded.

Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action to me, what course of action should I take.

Hand Two

Utg limped a late position player limped, I raised from the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Both blinds folded and both of the original limpers called the raise.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Utg bets next player calls I raise they both call.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Utg bets into me again, the next player calls what do I do?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Tough turn decisions $6-$12 at the Borgata

Hand One:
Not sure I'd call the flop. Is there really much of a chance you're not drawing to a 3-outer here? I know, backdoor flush possibility too, but that can't carry much weight. Especially considering that the villain here is raising in the face of two people who have put in one bet, and certainly can't be expecting to take the pot down here. A good, solid player is folding a dominated hand like QQ here in the face of a bet and a call, and if you're giving him credit as a good player...dump it. Your best situation is being up against AA and a straight draw, and having 5 clean outs.
Anyway, the Q on the turn compounds the problem, you could easily be drawing dead to KQ here. I vote check-fold, though I guess one could make the case of betting and folding to a raise. Certainly no reason to throw two more BBs into this pot.

Hand Two:
Fold. You're very likely facing an ace, probably the ace of clubs, and if either player is drawing to clubs, you're now drawing to, again, 5 outs (I have a hard time counting T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] here as outs). Save your money.

Anyway, that's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:03 PM

Mike-

How you been?

In hand one you consider your opponent to be a good player? So I will assume he sees you as a good player. I would check the turn and see what the action is back to you.

In hand 2 you have another decent opponent, what hand he going to limp with and bet that flop and then bet into you again on the turn?

I think you have a safe laydown here, but you know better than me, Obe' Won [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Dude\'s, this is MG in NJ....post some damn thoughts

Like now! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 01:16 PM

Hi Mike, it's awesome that you're back. Even if it's just for one post. But please be more.

Hand 2 seems like a fold. It's not a fun fold, but one I'm comfortable making. The fact that it's the Ace that falls makes me that much more comfortable with the fold.

Hand 1 is a little trickier. I would have considered 3-betting the flop. You may have and rejected it. It really depends on the dynamic you have with this guy. I could see just calling down.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:15 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

what kind of read do you have on Duvel? I think that's pretty critical in deciding how to proceed. regardless I think checking is probably right here beause you get to see what the button does after Duvel bets.

hand 2: the stop and go usually implies a hand wanting to see where he's at, or a hand that just improved. either way, I think you're beat, especially if UTG is as passive as he seems. your 3 straight outs will probably be good if you hit, and your 2 kings might be good, giving you 5 probable outs. you're getting 8.75-1, and to draw to 5 outs you need about that. I don't think you're drawing dead, since neither player is likely to play a flush this way. there's also a small chance you're actually ahead. closing the action, I think you can make this call, but it's close. I think the chances that you split if you hit a Q are offset by the chances that you'll win if you make kings and tens.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:16 PM

I should have taken that bet
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I don't know how much value you put into this, but in hand 2 he has a straight draw.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:37 PM

To be taken with mucho grains of salt.

Hand one:

Seems like a good time to check raise the button raiser. Having not, I would lead out on the turn again, PROBABLY call a raise and check call the river depending on what falls.

Hand 2:

Fold.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Hand#1:

What's your read on Duvel? If I'm not check-raising the flop, I'm 3-betting it.

Hand#2:

I don't like the flop line. Call the flop raise the turn. It looks like UTG holds the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and you can fold the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall