Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Tough TT laydown

Been at this table for awhile. UTG has a standard raise of $5. Typically follows a raise PF with a half bet or so on the flop. Hasn't shown a hand yet so I can't tell whether he has the goods or not. But by the number of hands he's played, he seems more tight than loose. To the hand...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($48.50)
CO ($48.50)
Button ($38.90)
SB ($40.20)
Hero ($46)
UTG ($157.67)
UTG+1 ($59.15)
MP1 ($78.85)
MP2 ($45.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $5</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $5, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls $4.

<font color="blue"> This is UTG's typical raise, unfortunately can't tell what hands he is willing to raise with because there hasn't been a showdown with him. Heads up I might try a reraise to narrow is hand, but with MP in the hand I just call. </font>

Flop: ($15.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, UTG calls $20, MP2 folds.

<font color="blue"> All undercards with paired 9's. I expecting with the PF raise that no one has the 9, so the bigger question is whether my overpair is good. I check, expecting a half pot bet from UTG, but surprisingly checks through. I'm not initially sure what MP's bet means. I min raise to 20. I feel any raise greater than this and I'm pot committed, therefore I would go all in instead. With the min raise, I feel confident enough that I can fold to a reraise, and push on the turn if they happen to call. I was again worried when UTG cold calls and MP folds. </font>

Turn: ($65.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

<font color="blue"> The one card I didn't want to see. I assumed the UTG call could mean only a few things. An awkwardly played AA or KK slowplay, AK or AQ waiting for a draw, or two diamonds looking for a flush. UTG seemed sensible enough that he wouldn't call a pot sized bet with just a diamond draw. Lacking the flush draw option, I was losing to any possible UTG holding. I plan to check/fold to any sizable bet on the turn. UTG's $10 bet instead of putting me all in confirms that he's trying to slowplay a big pocket pair and milk me for the rest on the river, so I lay it down. </font>

Final Pot: $75.50

I think with my actions on the flop, my turn decision was correct. My bigger question is to what I should've done before the turn. Should I raise PF? If he calls a raise PF instead of coming over the top, I feel much more confident pushing on this flop. Should I push on the flop instead of going for a minraise? Seems like a perfect case of winning a small pot or losing a big one if I do. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

JrJordan
Old 07-11-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Tough TT laydown

I don't like min checkraising the flop, as that puts you in an awkward situation if he calls and any AKQJ or diamond hits. I think pushing over the top of him, or just simply folding and waiting for a better spot are better ways to play the hand. Even the preflop call is questionable, because of his raise, there is a very slim profit margin between the odds to hit a set and the implied odds you're getting on his stack. Also, you will just about never get all of his stack if you flop your set but he has AK and misses. I might call with position for the added chance to steal, but that's very hard to do from the big blind.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:02 PM

Hey jordan. I was at the table during this hand and actually thought you folded queens. The Ace probably saved you some money since you had TT's. You should've been done with the hand the moment UTG called the min raise. If you're going to play this for it's pair value why not reraise pre-flop otherwise it's just too difficult to know where you're at. Otherwise call and check fold unless you flop a set. With the 50BB stacks you almost become pot committed on the flop so they're not alot of room to find out where you're at. Just my thoughts. Maybe others play this differently
Old 07-11-2004, 11:56 PM

Hey LA, might I say nice memory. Didn't realize you're a 2+2er (that could explain the nice PT stats I have on you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) Anyway, I agree with your comment that I may have overplayed it. I agree with the reraise PF if it's heads up. However, it's just too hard to know where I stand with the third player in. I guess I would just have to watch out for JJ if I get smooth callers on the PF raise. Truth be told, that A did save me some money on the turn. I'm not sure whether I would've called or not had it been a rag, but the A certainly made it easier.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:58 PM

I dunno, folding TT preflop to a villain's standard raise seems awful weak tight. I think I would lay it down with 88, and maybe with 99. With TT though it certainly has value when you're left with an overpair. I agree my post flop skills on this hand need work, however I still think seeing the flop can be profitable.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:04 AM

Why is 88 or 99 any different than TT? With a raise like that, either he has AK or a big pair.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:10 AM

With TT your chances of it being an over pair are much greater. This is especially important when there is a third cold caller involved with this PF. I would feel much more comfortable as a 3rd one in with TT than 88 because of that extra chance. Most likely I would only play 88 for set value. TT certainly should be worth more than that.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:12 AM

I believe folding here is in order, with stacks this shallow, there is insufficient implied pot odds to hit your set. There are no other limpers in this hand.

more importantly, if three rags hit the table, say 9 7 2, due to a serious lack of position, it will be very very difficult to play the hand. We are either at best a slight favourite against two overcards, or we are a heavy underdog, close to drawing dead against a better pair. I'll wait for a better oppurtunity to play and invest my whole stack.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:25 AM

It doesnt matter if its an overpair or not, he will have AK or a higher overpair unless he's making a move. Do you think he makes that preflop raise with 99?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:26 AM

I agree.