Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 06:44 PM

Default 2 Folds

Both hands are against the same opponent, who I don't know how he plays. He's a regular 6/12 player (but never at my table) and I've seen him in the big tourneys, but that could just mean he's rich.

100 max NL 2/3 blinds

Hand 1

In this hand I'm starting out with 85 bucks. Villian has about the same amount.

I got J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button and limp in after 5 other limpers.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to the villian who bets 15 bucks. One caller. And I add 40 on top of that ($55) Villian calls. Other guy folds. Villian calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian puts me all in. I take a sip out of my Coke, touch my stack, then fold and reload back to 100.

Hand 2

Couple hands later.

I got Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian and 2 others limp. I make it 15, my standard raise. Villian and calling station call. Other limper folds.

Flop: T 9 7 r

Checked to me. I make it 30. Villian min-checkraises me to 60. Other dude folds. I sit and stare, sit and stare, and fold.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 2 Folds

First fold is probably right, second I dont know. He was probably checkraising with something like a pair and a draw (78s maybe). Unless he flopped a straight (would he call a big preflop raise w/ J8? he's not that bad is he?) you're either ahead or not too far behind if he had 910(s). If he flopped a set or two pair, he'd probably check raise more cause any 6 8 or J is a scare card. I'd reraise all in.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:41 PM

CDC, is a limp in this game $3 or $5? I ask because the game i play here in the bay area is 1-1-2, but its $4 to go. I'm going to assume its $3 to limp since you didn't mention otherwise.

On hand 1, I'd push on the flop. You're still short-stacked and this looks like a great opportunity to double up if he's willing to (incorrectly) call your bet with a draw. If he has 55, good for him.

On hand 2, why did you underbet the pot with that drawtastic flop? What was your stack size? With 33BB buy-in stacks, I'm pretty much committing my stack with an overpair.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:52 PM

<font color="blue"> Hand 1: </font>

Pre flop:
5 limpers + you + bb + sb= 15*3+3+3+2 = $23

Flop:
23+15+15+55+40 = $148

Turn:
You had $85 at the beginning. 85-3-55 = $27 left
He bets $27 more. The pot is total $175. Pot odds for your last $27 are 6.5:1.
I would not fold for $27 more.. Even if he has a flush or a straight you have 4 cards that makes you a full house. <font color="red">Bad fold. </font>

<font color="blue"> Hand 2: </font>

Most often you are beat when you get min check-raised and only have a pair. <font color="green"> Good fold.</font>
Old 07-11-2004, 09:21 PM

My first fold WAS bad I thought given the pot size. Lucky for me he flashes a straight flush. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
But in all seriousness, I think I shoulda pushed on the flop, but since I didnt and IF the game had deeper stacks and he set me all in on the turn, I think it's an easy fold.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:27 PM

and IF the game had deeper stacks and he set me all in on the turn, I think it's an easy fold.

You are 100% right! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Lucky for me he flashes a straight flush.

Good fold! You saved $27 bucks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2004, 09:47 PM

I agree, you are very potstuck in the first hand.