Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 06:08 AM

Default AKs early in tourney

Hi All,

Had this situation come up in a pp $100 tourney. It is the 4th hand of the tourney and I have 1000 chips with 10/15 chip blinds. Player one position earlier than me opens for 75, which I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Everyone else folds leaving 175 chips in the pot.
The flop comes 742 rainbow with one heart. My opponent opens for 350. What do you do?

Pitcher
Old 07-11-2004, 07:23 AM

Default Re: AKs early in tourney

For me, it's an easy fold. Being this early in the tournament, it's just not worth the risk of a call. For all you know, this person could have raised with a pocket pair and hit trips. They might just have a pair, which still has you beat. There are just too many possibilities to warrant a call here. He might be bluffing, but it is better to take the loss of 75 chips, than to risk another 350 hoping to hit your Ace or King on the turn.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2004, 10:54 AM

Looks like he's got something around J-J to me, maybe Q-Q. I'd lay it down, especially this early.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:34 PM

easy lay down
Old 07-11-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Results and why -Re: AKs early in tourney

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had had the sense to lay this down. I re-raised all in and was called immediately with AA..... Normally this is an easy laydown, but something about the bet really disturded me. If I have trips, or AA, why overbet the pot? Also, I find most players raise slightly more than to 75 early in the tourney with AA or they slowplay (call or min-raise). If this player had made a 2/3-full pot sized bet I toss, but this looked like a bluff with A - good kicker or a medium PP. My rationale was this. If he has a medium PP, he is likely to toss to an all in re-raise (maybe 60-40 I am guessing) or he will imcorrectly call leaving me about a 33% chance. If he has A lower kicker I have him on a 3 outer. Anyway, I foolshly talked myself into calling and paid the price.

Pitcher
Old 07-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Results and why -Re: AKs early in tourney

I make large bets with overpairs all the time.

You have ace high, its early, you arent pot committed, easy fold.