Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 02:30 AM

Default Need help with JJ...biggest leak in my game

JJ is killing me. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm losing way toooo much money on JJ. Tonight for example I lost 100BB in 4 JJ hands, 0 - 4. I'm guessing JJ has troubled others before...does anyone have any good general advice in terms of positioning and betting PF and on the flop?

Here's a horrible example from tonight:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($27.25)
UTG ($17.35)
UTG+1 ($17)
MP1 ($22.40)
MP2 ($34.30)
MP3 ($14.85)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($19)</font>
<font color="C00000">Button ($71.20)</font>
SB ($74.25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>,

usually i raise here, but i play JJ so horribly i wanted to limp in to see the flop. not good logic i know..

Flop: ($3.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Button calls $4, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($11.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $14 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $14.

if i'm betting here, i may as well go all i figure...

River: ($39.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $39.75
<font color="green">Main Pot: $39.75, between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($39.75).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Jh (one pair, jacks).
Button doesn't show.
Outcome: Hero wins $39.75. </font>

again, i'm looking more for general advice than critiques on just this hand....thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Need help with JJ...biggest leak in my game

I'm really confused...
Old 07-10-2004, 04:57 AM

me too. maybe you should try posting a hand that you lost JJ with.

although, looking back at it, i think you might want to play it a little more aggressively. it worked out fine here, and maybe the immediate reraise would scare too many people off (depending on the hand). JJ is good, but not extremely solid.. the chance that a Q, K, or A might hit is good enough that you might want to invest a little more in it (unless you don't want to arouse suspicion, which apparently worked quite well here) pre-flop. just a random suggestion, since it's hard to nitpick at hands that you've won. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2004, 03:21 PM

what you asking is How do I play JJ´s in general.
I would do a search cause there were some interesting posts on the subject last week. In example, 2283 post discusses about raising or not with JJ pre-flop.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:25 PM

i've said it before: jj is group 1 in limit and group therapy in no limit. if you have trouble with it, play it like a medium pair. limp preflop. when you hit an overpair you have a vulnerable medium hand that you usually do not want to go all in with. bet or raise the flop then shut down.

matt