Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Too aggressive when its short handed?

Well lately I've gone on a winless drought in my 6+.50 turbos on stars. My overall ITM is about the same (50%ish) but I'm starting to think my shorthanded play sucks. I think I'm playing too passive when it gets SH so last night I figured I would try and be more aggressive. I don't have the HH for this hand but have the general info remembered.

Pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed)

Hero (t2250)
BB (t2100)
UTG (t5000+)

Preflop: Hero is SB with [Kd, 4d]
UTG calls t400, Hero completes t400, BB checks

Flop: [Ac, Ad, 5d]
Hero raises allin, BB calls, UTG folds
Old 07-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive when its short handed?

I think the all-in move is fine because there is a good chance that the flop missed your opponents. Otherwise you have 9 outs to double up.

I am not sure about completing the small blind though. With 5.5BB left you are in raise/fold mode, and bleeding off 10% of your stack is questionable. If UTG had folded preflop, you would be in a good spot to raise all-in right then and there.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the all-in move is fine because there is a good chance that the flop missed your opponents. Otherwise you have 9 outs to double up.

I am not sure about completing the small blind though. With 5.5BB left you are in raise/fold mode, and bleeding off 10% of your stack is questionable. If UTG had folded preflop, you would be in a good spot to raise all-in right then and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused about what you're trying to say. You said that you didn't like calling, but you also said that if UTG had folded pre-flop, he should go all-in. So are you saying that since UTG didn't fold, that he should fold?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM

Push unless you have a read that big stack would try to trap with a big hand (i.e., he has been raising every pot that he's entered since it's been heads up).

If you're concerned about a trap play, I'd fold and let UTG try to bust BB.

You've got about 5 BB left after posting the SB, so I don't like the pre-flop call.

Assuming you've already called, the push is OK, but I don't like the fact that Ax (or K5, for that matter) got a free look at this flop.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Of course as soon as I make this post I play in 3 SNGs last night and win 2 of them. Go figure. Normally I wouldn't call from the SB here but I didn't really wanna push and get called since I doubt I would be ahead of much with this hand. My main concern was the BB pushing all in and I would lose 200 of my stack but since UTG called I figured I was 'protected' alittle from the BB doing this.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 AM

Slogger's reply post is basically the same as mine, but his was clearly stated. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 02:09 PM

Thanks, but I was pretty clear on what you meant. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]