Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Help Overplaying Top Pair

I seem to be losing a lot lately when hitting top pair, any advice on the typical hand below would be appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

Button ($32.80)
SB ($16.15)
BB ($5.25)
UTG ($45.75)
Hero ($23.75)
MP1 ($49.70)
MP2 ($24.25)
MP3 ($28.15)
CO ($30.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0, Hero calls $0, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, BB checks,50,50,50,

Flop: ($2.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP2 calls $2, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($6.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP2 calls $3.

River: ($12.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $9</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $24.25
<font color="green">Main Pot: $18.25, won by MP2.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $6, returned to MP2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 doesn't show.
Outcome: MP2 wins $24.25. [/color

thanks....
Old 07-05-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Help Overplaying Top Pair

Why do you make weak bets on the turn and river? If you put your opponent on a draw you need to bet closer to the pot size on the turn and then check-call the river. Your tiny bet on the river was asking to be bluffed; my experience is primarily with shorthanded NL so folding TP2K on the river getting 4-1 is criminal in the games I play.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-05-2004, 09:26 PM

Situations like these are why a lot of people don't play KQo in EP. If you really want to know where you are, check raise the flop. You'll usually take it down there or make a relatively easy fold if your opponent comes back over the top.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:29 PM

Yeah, when u call with hands like QK, AJ, AQ in EP u have to make strong moveson the turn to know your position, or simply donīt play these hands there.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:10 AM

I don't agree that you should pot bet the turn, as this is inflating the pot beyond the strength of the hand, a half pot bet there is fine. When your weak bet on the river got raised by that tiny amount, you should call as there is enough of a possibility that you have the best hand though I would expect to be beaten most of the time. He could easily be getting frisky with QJ or some other piece of cheese.

I would personally pot the flop, half pot the turn then either checkcall or bet half pot depending on I felt would get me the most money. A half pot bet on the river shows enough strength that I wouldn't be bother calling a raise from a unknown opponent.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:18 AM

Did you raise pre flop?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:28 AM

check/call here on the river is better than betting weakly if you are going to fold to a raise.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:17 PM

No, called pre-flop.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:47 PM

KQo in early position on relatively deep money. Usually fold it preflop. You're building a hand that will likely win a small pot or get you broke if it all goes in. Top pair is not really a hand to be building on deepish money out of position. The fact that you are building it suggests you over value big unsuited cards on deepish money and also show little regard for position. This probably also means you over value top pair post flop. You wil find your way into a lot of tough spots. This goes some way to explaining why you are losing so much with them.