Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Worst sports injury that happened to you personally

Not sure if riding a bike is a sport but...

I was 8 or 9 somewhere in that range and the seat of my bicycle fell off. (i'm sure you already see where this is going) Anyways my friends and I always ride bikes we very rarely did something else so I wasn't about to let this stop me. So we are riding around and we go over a speed bump but I want to get a little extra height off the jump.

Yup you guessed it. When I came down from the jump the metal pipe made a pretty nice cut into my nuts through my jeans.

I dropped my bike ran home and my mother took me to the emergency room. The Dr. that was taking care of me was not able to put the stitches in because everytime he was about to try he got tears in his eyes so he had to walk a female nurse through it.

I got action at 8 years old!

Anyways few minutes later and I have 6 stitches in my nuts.

No long term damage though and a lesson well learned.

A real sport story I guess.

Playing basketball senior year of highschool on a playground. The ball got stuck between the backboard and the rim so I backed up a few steps ran up and hit it out. But where I laned the ground was uneven. The pavement from the court sat about 4" higher than the dirt under the backboard.

I landed in between collapsed to the ground and had what looked like a baseball sticking out of my ankle. Nothing broken just a pretty bad sprain.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:27 PM

Real sport:
Playing roller hockey, had the puck and skated to center court with only one man to beat. I was skating at top speed and made a move. As I got around him he tripped me and i put my arm out to brace myself. When I took my glove off my arm looked like this:
.....-----<=
-----

Where I could see that my hand was about 1 inch about where the rest of my arm was. Completely fractured both my bones. When they were resetting the bones they told me the painkiller shot would hurt way worse than resetting it. I promptly passed out from the pain of having them move my bones. Lying bastard doctors. Severity... 6

Pseudo-sport:
Porch vaulting. Vaulting off a 6 foot high porch using a bench that was another 2 feet high on the edge. Got a running start, vaulted off the bench, over about 6 feet of bushes and landed sitting on top of my foot. Broke about 8 or 9 bones in my foot. My parents didnt' believe I was hurt that bad so they left town for the day the next day and left me home alone without even being able to walk to the bathroom. Severity... 7
Old 02-11-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dropped into Corbett's Couloir on hard pack snow day

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about that, shoulda asked a local. There's nothing better than watching tourons play out darwin's theory in real life from the tram above. Corbett's sucks, even on a powder day its gutted after just a few runs and there are soooo many places in the ski area alone (ignoring ob and the pass) that are better. Sorry to hear you ruined your trip. I lived in jh a while and never even had the inclination.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:39 PM

I dislocated my shoulder body surfing but it wasn't that bad. Friends were able to pop it back in but it was never quite healed after that. I'd get drunk and it would pop out while wrestling or something at a party or I'd get high and it would pop out in my sleep. The common denominator was when I was weak and my muscles were too relaxed. Every time i was able to get someone at the scene to pop it bak in and the pain would immediately subside. A shoulder dislocation is a chilling kind of pain. Very hard to describe or forget. I literaly am aching just writing this right now.

My worst (and last) experience with it came while boxing. I was sparring it was the end of the third and last round of our session. The trainers tapped the apron to let us know there's only ten seconds to go in the round. My opponent, a euro-[censored] who had about 8 inches on me, hit's me clean. Not wanting to end the session on a down note and being slightly out of position I tried a last second lead-hook (never a good idea to lead with a hook and I reached which is a double no no) My muscles were tired and POP out goes my shoulder. This time no one could pop it back in. Many tried (painful!) but failed. I had to be brought out of the ring, over the ropes in a stretcher and brought 20 minutes away to the hospital. Every pump and justle was had me screeching and shreiking. When I finally got to the ER it took four MD's to get it back in. You know that triangle looking hook that hangs from the ceiling in an ER room? That's what it's for. They hand your elbow from it and pull on you torso. I'm not kidding. Most painful 45 minute of my life. I had surgery after that and it hasn't popped out since.

I've thrown like a girl ever since that day body surfing. Shoulder dislocation is a permanent injury that never heals 100%.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Worst that's happened to me really wasn't that bad, I'd rate it a 3. I played football freshman year in high school and we were running through some plays at half-speed. Anyway, I was on defense and the running back for some reason apparently didn't get the "half-speed" concept and decided to run into me full-speed and popped the top of his helmet up into my chin.

I had a ghetto helmet without a hard plastic chinstrap and my chin and jaw took the brunt of the hit--my chin got split open pretty good and required several stitches to close it up, and I got a concussion and was pretty out of it. I didn't even realize I was hurt until my teammates pointed out the blood pouring out of my chin. My chinbone must have been chipped or something because to this day my chin is noticeably crooked.

Worst I've seen is watching my brother get his ankle shattered playing football. Ugh.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 PM

My worst injuries aren't gruesome, more just painful to me:

Having a disc in my back go slightly out of alignment, requiring chiropractic work, and basically being the reason that even though I was highly ranked in the state, I never qualified for state in track in high school. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Last year in college through the course of the season my achilles was slowly separating from the heel, luckily I caught it before it did, but this injury pretty much ended my track career. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Most painful looking non-injury happened to me in a varsity bball game in high school. I stole the ball and was on a fast break, and in some sort of freak timing as I went up the guy chasing me ran right under me taking out my legs, flipping me over so that I was vertical in the wrong direction, and I ended up somehow landing directly on my elbow. It was pretty much assumed that I had probably shattered my arm, but I got up, got it checked out by the trainer quick and was good to go. Not sure how I possibly got away from that one injury free.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Our basketball coach wouldn't let us dunk at all during warmups at practice. This wasn't a big deal, since only a few of us could even come close anyway. Well, basically, no one likes doing normal layups so we all came up with different things to do to keep ourselves occupied. One practice, I was pissed at the coach for some reason, but didn't want to do sprints, so I had to come up with some way to dunk, but not dunk. Basically, I tossed up a 'layup' from about 8 feet away and then just jumped up and grabbed the rim backwards, nothing special.

Well, I probably should've alerted the guy coming from the other side to rebound, because he went right through my legs and I basically ended up free-falling completely horizontal from rim-level. Didn't actually do any serious damage, but it hurt like all hell. And I had to do sprints anyway.

I'll say about a 5.

Ankle injuries, knee sprains, and broken fingers stopped fazing me at about 12.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Ice hockey 1: I was about 13 or 14 for this one. Moments before the injury i slammed the [censored] out of a kid, so he decided to skate up behind me and full on swing his stick at my hand, thus breaking most of the bones invovled with my right pinky finger.

Ice hockey 2: About 16 now. In a game one time i was hit pretty hard into the boards and i guess one of my ribs landed right on the overhang and cracked a rib. It hurt pretty bad but there was no way our team could win without me so i had to play at about 70% for a month.

Soccer: 17 for this. Basically me and another kid attempted to kick the ball at the exact same time, but i beat him to it by a split second so his foot hit my ankle instead of the ball and [censored] it up pretty good. Had to miss the rest of the indooor season and most of hockey season, fortunately i was back for spring outdoor soccer.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:01 PM

my worst injury

playing football, was sent on a blitz, the Guard picked me up with a cut block right to the knee and i heard a loud pop. it was a torn ACL. surprisingly it didnt hurt as much as i would imagine
self rating 5

worst injury ive ever seen
high school rugby tournament. there was a team whos front row would collaps the scrum if it wasnt going well. i complained to the ref but he did nothing. later on i was watching the same team play from the sidelines. the scrum collapsed again but the opposing teams hooker didnt get up. ambulance came and evacuated him, turns out he is paralyzed from the neck down

rateing 9.5
Old 02-11-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ambulance came and evacuated him, turns out he is paralyzed from the neck down

rateing 9.5

[/ QUOTE ]

That gets at least an 11!