Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Evenkeal\'s play, questionable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, my folding equity increases x 10 by pushing here. Everyone knows I would fold my last 500 to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont quite understand this because if you had bet 300 and every folds, which I assume you had hoped, then you would have risked less to win the pot and not risked your whole tournament. Also, lets say you had bet 300 and got re-raised all-in by the straight.. then you fold and you still have 500 and a chair. Am I wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about what hands would be able to call Giga's allin and how many would be able to come over the top if he only bet 300...therein lies the answer. Now crunch some numbers and see if it's riskier to bet 300 there or to push.

<font color="white">
Any hand can/will raise him if he bets 300. Only a select few can call him there.
</font>

Yugoslav
Old 05-09-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first one I hate. He doesn't gain all that much folding equity by pushing 880 instead of say 300. Seems stupid to risk the whole tournament in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the games he plays....also, once the pot gets big enough he needs to jam in order to take it down. Think of it as an learly level 5 steal where his opponents basically can only be playing one of a very few hands that will actually call him there so early.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you are saying value bets don't exist at these levels? I don't buy that for a second.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that is the inevitable conclusion your opponents draw then perhaps you are pushing too often and betting pot too seldom at the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

A relative statement, yes, it makes the situations in the hand described more difficult to play, however, the other advantages I get outweigh these situations.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first one I hate. He doesn't gain all that much folding equity by pushing 880 instead of say 300. Seems stupid to risk the whole tournament in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the games he plays....also, once the pot gets big enough he needs to jam in order to take it down. Think of it as an learly level 5 steal where his opponents basically can only be playing one of a very few hands that will actually call him there so early.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you are saying value bets don't exist at these levels? I don't buy that for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the *value* in betting with overcards on this board given the play so far. In fact, it very likely will result in someone with a pair actually making a value raise to your bet.

Yugoslav
Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you clearly don't watch the games very often. That is exactly what he is saying, and for all intents and purposes, value bets don't exist at this level. Good players just don't pay people off.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the *value* in betting with overcards on this board given the play so far. In fact, it very likely will result in someone with a pair actually making a value raise to your bet.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Which once again would be a leak. If the only way Gigabet can communicate to his opponents that he has a good hand is a push and not a potsized bet, he must be pushing too much and valuebetting too rarely on the river (since the valuebet according to him is an invite to come over the top).
Old 05-09-2005, 09:10 PM

nod nod
Old 05-09-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you clearly don't watch the games very often. That is exactly what he is saying, and for all intents and purposes, value bets don't exist at this level. Good players just don't pay people off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they push on the river every time they have the best hand, I imagine they don't get paid off.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nod nod

[/ QUOTE ]

what does that mean?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM

that means i understand and you have a valid point

i was nodding as i was reading it.