Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Worst sports injury that happened to you personally

Freshman year of college, on the ski team, and we're at Cannon mountain in NH. First slalom run on Sunday, and I come through the finish, lose my balance, and fall backwards and twist. I take out a good 30 foot section of safety fence and almost end up in the woods. I try to stand up and can't put any weight on my right leg.

I get to the hospital and they tell me I just sprained my knee and give me some crutches. They call up later that night and tell me not to put any weight on that leg at all and that I should see a orthopaedic.

Long story short, snapped the ACL in my right knee, couldn't walk for a month, and had surgery to fix it up over the following summer, even though I'd learned to walk on it again.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Wiffle ball when I was about 10 in someone's back yard. I was playing the outfield and went back to catch a possible home run. I jumped and came down on the metal fence post right in my arm pit. Not a round one more like a bar. 18 stitches. maybe a 6

Shortstop when i was 13 rocket one hopper of the heel of my glove into my nuts. I threw up and passed out for a while. this was a solid 9

Pick up basketball took an elbow and broke my nose. about a 5
Old 02-11-2005, 11:37 PM

#1 - Intramural Football my Freshman year. I am playing WR, and run a post pattern. The ball is thrown about 9 feet in the air, and I go up and get it. Just as my hands touch the ball, the safety cuts my legs out from under me, and I land on my head. Knocked me out, and I thought I was paralyzed. I lay there for about 5 minutes, and slowly get up (with help). Sit out 1 play, and play the rest of the game. The safety required stitches for the gash in his forehead where my knee hit.

#2 - Intramural Basketball, I broke my nose with about 1 minute to go in the 1st half (had 15 points already). Blood everywhere, barely knew my name (mild concussion?). Laid on the bench bleeding during half-time. Get the bleeding to stop, score another 10 in the 2nd half.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 PM

10th grade basketball, I developed a stress fravture in my left foot. (didnt know it at the time, it just hurt whenever I ran), I kept practicing on it anyway, and then it finally broke. Was in a cast for 2 months.

2 years ago I was mountain biking in phoenix, doing about 25mph on a nice downhill singletrack section when these 2 [censored] fat girls hiking up the trail decided they didnt need to move over for me, so I had to take a different line than normal, front tire goes out from under me and I slap face first into a rock flip a couple times and dislocate my knee. They had to send the helicopter up to get me down.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:08 AM

Default litany of pain and stubborn perseverance

it's hard to choose so here's a complete list of my (sports) injuries that required a doctor to fix:

mar '97- broke radius & ulna
jan '98- torn ACL, MCL, dislocated patella
apr '99- broke arm and ribs
jan '00- meniscus, sprained ACL
mar '03- meniscus
mar '04- back (herniated discs- this was far more painful than all others combined, but it led me to poker in my downtime, so i don't mind)

but i ski @ 100+ days/year, so that's actually right about on the EV...

i've had the knee repaired twice- and it's at about 95% now. the surgery technique is getting really good.

"bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the USA has the highest doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world" -simpsons.

worst i've seen: three way tie at death.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:45 AM

I sliped off the rim after dunking a basketball after one of my club games last year. I landed on my left arm and snaped my wrist -- the bone was angled up and pushing out into my skin. Thankfully if didn't go through the skin because it was sick enough being able touch it and all.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
touron

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much described me to a tee. My pride and macho sensitivity were wounded since I considered myself a hardcore Bridger Bowl ridge rat. What can I say. Young and stupid.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:40 PM

I *knock on wood* haven't had a serious sports injury myself. The worst I saw up close was playing roller hockey on a basketball court. Guy is skating full speed on a breakaway. He takes the shot and goes to cut around behind the net. His wheels slide out, and he slams his forehead into the basketball pole. I didn't know a 4-5" steel pipe in concrete could swing back and forth that much. By the time we got over to the guy he was conscious, but just barely. We talk to him for a bit, and he seems to mostly know what's going on, so we help him up and over to the side. We convince him he needs to go to the ER to get checked out, and he says "OK, let me go get my keys". It took another few minutes to convince him one of us would drive.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:01 AM

I broke my tibia and fibia playing hockey.
I knew I broke my leg because I literally felt it pop.

I would rate that an 8.

During my black belt test, I had 107.2 fever due to heat stroke. I took the test in June during a heat wave. My karate instructor did not turn on the air conditioner. I would call that a 10.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:12 AM

I was playing poker at Commerce, and...

Can't believe you would ask us dorks for a real injury. I'm about to go into surgery for acute BBall trauma, but my worst is this...

Playing in the hood - ATL - where I played every day, I was on my way home, only to discover that my keys were gone from the pile where we all kept them - Car stolen. I got it back after the cops kind of decided to care - I came back every day for the next year - No one touched my car.