Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2003, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Results

You'd probably have to channel Tommy if you didn't improve. I'd have talked myself into talking myself into putting him on pocket aces or king-jack or somesuch nonsense at that point because, well, I could beat those hands.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's not, I find a different 6-max game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a lot of tricky turn decisions, I find a different 6-max game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but maniacs will make you have to be in slightly nauseating spots at times.

[ QUOTE ]
If KQ isn't awesome, I find a different 6-max game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather have AT by a long shot. It's hard when everyone misses and you have K-hi to show down with. KQ is pretty good, but hardly "awesome," but there are obviously games available (at times) where KQ may be approaching awesome status, but you can't always get what you want.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Re: KQo

U,

I can read U from a month away. My first time to this thread, I was reading along in flat mode, hoping you hadn't posted the results yet so that I could take a shot at predicting the outcome, which would have gone like this:

Of course the commanding premise is that you won the pot. And if you had had the best hand all the way and simply bet it until raised on the turn and then called down, well, that not's much of a story.

So there was no doubt in my mind that you sucked out, which means opponent could only have had JJ or AT, then the river came K or Q. Or he could also have QQ, with a king on the river. I would have guessed it was one of those combos.

As to mucking preflop for two cold on the button with KQ, in San Bruno? No way. It's against city ordinance.

Tommy

Old 11-24-2003, 05:36 PM

"there was no doubt in my mind that you sucked out"

No, he built the pot up to the point where we think he was getting proper odds to draw to his presumed 4-outer.

Unless I misunderstand the term "suck out." I thought it meant taking the worst of it and getting there. Or does it mean being behind and coming out ahead, favorite or not?

I remember the first time I heard the term. An opponent flopped top pair, I made a straight on the turn, and he made a flush on the river. As he stacked his chips and I licked my wounds he said to me, "Suck and re-suck."
Old 11-24-2003, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but there are obviously games available (at times) where KQ may be approaching awesome status,

[/ QUOTE ]
only in a game that everyone is a overplaying maniac btf and chick-sh*t passive goose who show you what they have after flop while being scared of you like chick of hawk...

anyway like i said yesterday, a turn check would be the best play though betting is forgivable in the heat of battle.

kenny
Old 11-24-2003, 05:51 PM

if i were u, i'd had faked a check behind half-motion after he checked and asked him, you check too? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and raised him if he said oh no i bet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 06:04 PM

If we can agree that meaning is determined by usage, then locally, arithmetic has no place in the meaning of "suckout." The shortest definition would be "lead change." But sensible users don't waste the word on what they perceive as short-odd situations.

Tommy

Old 11-24-2003, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway like i said yesterday, a turn check would be the best play though betting is forgivable in the heat of battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost, almost, almost, almost found that check. As soon as he did the hitch-almost-4-bet-but-then-just-call-the-3-bet move on the flop, I thought, boy-I-should-really-check-behind-on-the-turn-if-he-checks-the-nuts-to-me.

Heads-up, I definitely would have checked. And I still almost did. But with terrible SB hanging around, I just couldn't quite do it. Almost, man. I'm getting there. Very, very close. In my gut, I knew the right move right there on the flop. Just didn't quite make it.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:29 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Tommy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
As to mucking preflop for two cold on the button with KQ, in San Bruno? No way. It's against city ordinance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a solid player open-raising relatively early, would you violate the ordinance?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 PM

Ulysses,

no doubt u are much better than i. i wish i could always play like i post on 2+2. but i am improving. i am training myself to look at things on the poker table with more than just my eyes. hopefully one day i will become alomst as good a player as many of you on 2+2.

kenny