Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: How taboo is it to switch up beers at a bar?

[ QUOTE ]
why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one not doing this?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice. Next time I'm in England, I'm gonna save like 50 quid thanks to you guys letting me know what's what!

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things I don't get about Americans. First is why the [censored] you tip everything that moves and second is why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer both. Tipping in almost all instances is worked into the pricing and the 'system'. If we didn't tip at restauarants, meals would be more expensive and waiters would get paid more.

If we didnt tip at bars, drinks would cost more and bartenders would get higher salaries.

It really has nothing to do with courtesy or thanks anymore, it is simply something built in to our society. It is comparable to the rise of Tivo. If Tivo continues to rise in popularity, or devices similar to it that eliminate commercials, we would start to have to pay for our major networks as well as huge price hikes for the cable networks.

Answer to your second question... I have been to hundreds of movies in the theater, and can not remember one where people clapped. Not sure where this stereo-type arose.

However, I went to a theater in Cambridge, England and had to freaking pick where I was gonna sit on some digital screen before I went into the theater. I was waiting for two friends, so we ended up sitting in different spots because of the dumb seating system. Explain that....
Old 01-14-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Answer to your second question... I have been to hundreds of movies in the theater, and can not remember one where people clapped. Not sure where this stereo-type arose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on every pirate copy that seems to circulate over here you can hear so many people clapping laughing etc. I watched alien vs predator last year and the people in that made me want to kill someone, bunch of idiots that would ruin it totally if I was in the cinema with them at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I went to a theater in Cambridge, England and had to freaking pick where I was gonna sit on some digital screen before I went into the theater. I was waiting for two friends, so we ended up sitting in different spots because of the dumb seating system. Explain that....

[/ QUOTE ]

Organise your trips so you and your friends get there at the same time, or book in advance.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 PM

Your willing to watch the awful pirated copies off the video camera recording the movie screen? Id shoot myself before doing that.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your willing to watch the awful pirated copies off the video camera recording the movie screen? Id shoot myself before doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got nothing better to do. I've seen 99% of the movies I watch like that already anyway so its just background noise.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one not doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen/heard. I didn't even bother with that other thread.