Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: For all you David Williams Haters:

[ QUOTE ]
That's exactly my point: People should not be calling David a sh*tty player because they saw him play a couple of bad hands on ESPN.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, nor should they be calling him a good player, or a mediocre player.
there is a huge tendency to overrate skill in poker in the short run. In the short run, it's gambling, pure and simple.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell, they were on ESPN, they may not have even happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote of the day, that's great. Good post by Fnurt as well.

To the original poster - yes, there are a few Williams haters out there, but I think the majority of the people responding to the 55 thread were discussing/critiquing/analyzing his play there, not indicting him as a good/bad player. It's like Fnurt said, this particular part of the forum isn't always the best for poker hand discussion, but arguments over who is good/isn't good is pretty much pointless.

Discussion of how to play certain hands, and why, isn't pointless.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:34 PM

Has Greg been playing in many of the WPT events? Has he cashed in any of them?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:50 PM

I think there was a post that he would play in the Borgata event. He was supposed to be on Jimmy Kimmel but he got rescheduled so his time was free.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Hmmmm. . . .

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
He almost always put his money in as a favorite and was outdrawn quite often.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a joke
Old 09-21-2004, 03:05 PM

There's nothing to hate about David Williams. He handled himself well beyond his years on the WSOP final table.

What I am dissapointed to see is who is in the #7 chip position. R-E-A-hole. That guys needs someone like Cloutier or Ted Forrest to cold-cock him after one of those pansy-ass-behind-your-back comments he likes to make. If Norman Chad noted at least 5 times during the telecast about how poor his personal skills are, than you know there was a lot more to his behavior than we saw on the final edit.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM

Default I told you guys David williams was good........

If only you guys could watch and understand his magic:the gathering play then you would understand that he's one of the smartest people ever, and has one of the best card playing minds ever.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: I told you guys David williams was good........

[ QUOTE ]
If only you guys could watch and understand his magic:the gathering play then you would understand that he's one of the smartest people ever, and has one of the best card playing minds ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, we know Williams is good at this. How good? I don't know for sure. Is he great? Not yet. Maybe in the future. How the hell do you know he's got one of the best card playing minds ever? You even admitted you don't know much about poker and come here to defend a play that has roundly been criticized and picked apart by others.

None of this is to say that Williams is horrible (or even great), but to just blanketly say he's great because he's your buddy isn't right.

And if he was so great at $:TG, why did he need to cheat?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Norman Chad noted at least 5 times during the telecast about how poor his personal skills are, than you know there was a lot more to his behavior than we saw on the final edit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of players criticize their opponents, so Arieh wasn't the first. Just because it is on tv, you think it is so bad. If Arieh said any other stuff I guarantee espn would have shown it.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: I told you guys David williams was good........

poker is totally irrelevant to his card playing mind. If he was he had never played poker in his life, he would still be a card-playing genuis.I can assure you that the boy who once had a 4.0 GPA in economics at princeton is better at many card games besides poker, it just happens to be where the money is

Second HE DIDNT CHEAT. You are a troll who doesn't know what you are talking about. The DCI(the organization behind all the serious MTG tournaments are the first people to tell you he didnt intentionally cheat, and said so in a memo following the tournament. His friend loaned him the deck which has about a thousand dollars worth of the stupid collecters cards in it, and he had no control over what happened at the world championship. But what he did do was, he outplayed people all day to make the final table. NEVER accuse someone of cheating when you dont know what you are talking about.