Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Steps: Are they worth trying?

yes they have shown both a nice profit and nice hourly profit
i have not taken the time to figure out hourly wage or anything but it definitely seems worth it
only problem is...high variance at mini 5
steps seem worth it to buy in to higher levels and if u have bankroll
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 AM

Anyone who wants to get acqainted with NL Holdem SnG can buy into step1 for 6$, play ass tight until enough have busted out to win your freeroll and then practice agression.

So for players new to NL Holdem like myself it's been a great learning school for little money but better level of play than play money (well in step1 that's discussable [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

I had a lot of fun/frustration playing it and going up and down levels but without a doubt I got a whole lot of play and experience for my 6$.

For people with a bankroll good enough to be able to buyin and step4 probably not very interesting.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are good enough to beat the higher levels, but then the smaller levels are -EV becasue you should be playing at a higher limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
EV is not a function of time. If you should win at a given level as the length of time played reaches infinity, you have +EV. The +EV may not be as high as the +EV at higher stakes, but it is still +EV, nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the right way to look at it. There is an opportunity cost to your time. If you spend time playing a lower buy-in than you normally play, you are losing money.

Paul
Old 07-24-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are good enough to beat the higher levels, but then the smaller levels are -EV becasue you should be playing at a higher limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
EV is not a function of time. If you should win at a given level as the length of time played reaches infinity, you have +EV. The +EV may not be as high as the +EV at higher stakes, but it is still +EV, nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the right way to look at it. There is an opportunity cost to your time. If you spend time playing a lower buy-in than you normally play, you are losing money.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

several times already in this thread it has been ignored that if you play a lower buyin than normal now in order to get to play at a higher buyin than normal later, you are not necessarilly giving up net EV.

citanul