Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Hurt Bird

[ QUOTE ]
" it appeared to be mortally wounded, and i killed it by dropping a huge garden rock on it. at the time i was a strict vegetarian "

so if you werent a vegetarian you would have eaten it. ick.

[/ QUOTE ]

A local talk radio show had a guest from an organization that takes care of injured and captured raptors and gets them back to health. They had a horned owl that someone had found injured and tried to take care of himself. Being a vegetarian, the good samaritan fed the owl a vegetarian diet. Since owls basically eat mice, the owl developed rickets and its growth was severely stunted. The raptor society got hold of the owl, is correcting its diet, and trying to teach it how to hunt mice. It is likely the bird will never be able to be freed. Leave stuff like healing birds to the professionals. If I was going to do anything, I'd put the bird in a box or something and drop it off at a vet.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you didn't live near me in Central Massachusetts and then you could take it Tufts University Veternary School in Grafton. They would look the bird over and tell you that yes they can save it and it will only cost you about $4000 in fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife brought our stupid cat to Tufts. Had an operation to remove one of my daughters hair elastic things from it's intestine to the tune of $600. It died 6 months after the operation. I hate cats and Tufts!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a vegetarian, the good samaritan fed the owl a vegetarian diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well using an obvious moron as an example for why nobody who lacks the "Veterinarian" title should try to help animals is kinda bad. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would do the proper research so they'd help the animal out the right way.

~D
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what I don't get is that with this poor bird mortally wounded outside, you're going back and forth just so you can post about it on here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we all know he's pretending to go back and forth in a thinly velied attempt to create the longest thread in the history of 2+2.

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of soliciting a majority opinion on what you should do, just put the damn thing out of its misery OR walk the fuk away!

sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, no need to point out the obvious. Only losers think before they act.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most animals kinda shut down their pain and die. thats the way of the outdoors. nature can be cruel looking but has evolved over time to let others benefit from ones demise. so i vote to let him make his own way out.
sometimes they are just stunned with a concusion and recover and fly away. killing it doesnt give it this chance. and robs the things that need a live animal to eat to survive. balance of nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray Zee looks like you were right about the concusion! That bird I saw coated in ants wasn't the same bird. It's kind of funny, all those times I checked on the bird it hadn't moved. The one time I went out to kill it, it was gone and I saw another dead bird instead. When I left work about 3 in the morning, I went to my car, and what was sitting in front of my car? The hurt bird!!! Anyway, I took it home and fed it bread, seed and water. The first day it couldn't even keep it's eyes open, the second day it flew out of the box twice, but couldn't keep it's balance well enough to walk. It must of had a concusion. This morning it was begging to get out of the box I had it in, so I let it go. It was still weak and hadn't eaten much, but considering how badly it wanted to get out, I decided it was best to let it go.
It was kind of funny, when I finally did let it go, it just stared at me and took several minutes before it actually decided to fly away.

Heres' Tweety!

Old 09-03-2004, 04:02 PM

thats awesome - very glad to hear
Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 PM

Wacki -- Bless you, you're a decent soul, and I've got a feeling that it's not the last we've heard from that little bird.