Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: LAG decision????

[ QUOTE ]
Long time lurker first time poster.

Table was playing uber tight so I switched into ultra LAG mode...mainly trying to agitate the table enough to pay off my hands. Mostly I have been taking down the pots on the flop.

Villian is a weak player IMHO. Saw him "slow play" bottom set on a two to the flush and two to a str8 board, limp KK utg, etc. I have been raising to isolate him frequently and almost always raise his blind.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($580.4)
SB ($104.2)
Hero ($442.6)
UTG ($294.8)
MP ($430)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $8, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($30) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $25</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $420</font>.

Final Pot: $52

Does anyone call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother. Sounds like you're crushing him as is; wait until you're sure you've got him before you go for his stack. Or just whittle him down.

When weak-tight players tell you they've got it with their bets, they usually do.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:57 AM

Id have folded to be honest. I can see villain making this play with AT/KT etc so i would have felt a long way behind if i was in your shoes.

A6 though? Can i get his account name- i wouldnt mind a buddy like him.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you put over 100 BB's into the pot on a flop against an admittedly weak/tight player who pushes after you check-raise him with top pair bad kicker, i mean i dont have a good enough word in my vocabulary to describe how bad that play is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I basically think you're right, one shouldn't underestimate how tilted weak-tight people can get when a LAG continually beats them in pots. I say that after having watched my weak-tight friend take a beating from a LAG in the 15/30 limit game. Severe overplaying can certainly occur, and also desperate, badly executed bluffs (they aren't good bluffers since they're weak tight).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so so so true it's often overlooked. if im playing very weak tight i often feel i need to take shots at those LAGs (tilt...) and vica versa when I'm playing very LAGgy it seems I rile up the weak tight players. Every so often, I mean.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:57 PM

no i agree but he could be basically bluffing with a hand like KT its jst a really bad play, i mean i agree with you about the weak/tights playing back at a lag, but 80% of the time you are gonna be a huge dog here and thats being generous
Old 04-30-2005, 04:06 PM

I think I like a flop smooth call better and raise the turn. It looks more like a monster than a "you are betting, I know you will fold raise." I'm happy you won the hand but you are essentially willing to risk 320:125 that he is bluffing and in the long run i think the play is hugely -ev. I make more money pushing my stack in against lags when I have the goods than any other part of my poker game and when playing lag lose more money on that type of logic. To wrap up-- by smooth calling the flop you avoid the situation all together because a weak tight would never dream that you would wait until the turn to raise a non-nut hand and you would get probably two reasonable size bets out of him and not have to playing a guessing game were you have to be right 70% of the time.