Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Ethics question

It wasn't at canterbury. In the cardroom that it happened at, there was a big sign that said 'If you are playing the board, you must table your hand face up.' Along with other local rules. I remember reading it while I was waiting for a game.

later,

Bob T.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Now that's a case where I'd think about giving you half the pot. You knew what you had, you just put your cards in the wrong place.

Assuming I didn't know you, if you hadn't told bad beat story since we both sat down I'd split it with you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 03:25 PM

I would have liked that (splitting the pot). The dealer told me immediately when it happened that my hand was dead, and called a floor to confirm it.

Oh well.
Bob T.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:57 PM

No. It would also be unethical for anyone else to say anything.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:04 AM

I did the same thing at a 3-6 game at the Taj back in August.

The board had a King-high straight (off-broadway) and it was me and another opponent, an older woman who was a real bitch. I checked the river and she checked behind. I threw my hand into the muck. But about 10 minutes later the hand was finally resolved when the floorman came back with the rule book and it was determined that we were chopping anyway.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 PM

Why do you say he got ripped off. The rules you posted state in the showdown section that to share in any part of the pot, cards must be shown face up. Once they are in the muck pile they can no longer be uniquely identified as a particular players hand, so they cant be shown face up.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:19 PM

Here is the rule:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Playing the Board: A player may play the board by throwing his hand away only if: (1) the hand has been checked around, or (2) there has been a bet and a call, and the best hand is on the board. The player must CLEARLY declare that he is playing the board before throwing his hand away; otherwise the player relinquishes all claims to the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he said he was playing the board before he threw his cards away, he would have been entitled to half the pot.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:33 PM

Fishy kid needs to learn to table his hand at the showdown.

On Sunday the player to my right had A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] on a board of T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] .

He bet on the river and was called. He said "2 pair". His opp (one of the old guys who are always at CP) put one card on top of the other, picked them up and turned them over so we could all see his A &lt;img src="/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif" alt="" /&gt; , but we couldn't see the other card. He then flipped them back over and tossed them to the dealer to muck. She saw his second card - the 6 &lt;img src="/forums/images/icons/spade.gif" alt="" /&gt; but correctly awarded the pot to the other guy.

Would anyone have given the pot to the old man if they would have won?

Not me.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:50 PM

Did the older guy have a fit when he wasn't awarded the pot?
Old 02-10-2003, 06:49 PM

The old guy's hand was A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

No, he didn't get mad, because he didn't realize he had the flush. He was drawing for his 2nd pair and missed, and like many of the old guys at Canterbury, he just had to show us he had an A.

So he tosses his cards into the muck, the dealer notices he had the 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] but pushed the pot to the other guy. Then she said "Sir, if you want to play the hand you need to show both of your cards". He didn't understand what she was talking about until the 1 seat told him that he had had the flush and would have won the hand.

Sadly, after the dealer left, he said he didn't like her because her comment "rubbed him the wrong way" Yeah, sorry she tried to help you [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]