Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Fun w/AJo

Thanks for posting this. There's been a lot of passivity PF with AJo lately around here.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raising PF with junk with two EP callers is a mortal sin in NL. In limit you MAY get away with sometime. I would suppose you had good read on both EP players. I'd only open-raise with this hand personally.
Although the texture of the flop is pretty good for you, I'd still argue for raising after UTG bets to trim the field down a bit.
What was your thinking throughout this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know that AJo isn't junk, right? Folding AJo preflop in a micro limit game is cutting close to that 'mortal sin' you're thinking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's junk, but like I said, in limit (especially micro) you can get away with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's junk, but like I said, in limit (especially micro) you can get away with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell by the tone of your post, are you saying that playing AJo here is still wrong but you can make up for the mistake? Or are you saying because NL is so different than limit, it gives different valuations of this hand so that it can be profitable in one situation and different in another?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't make any sense at all. How can any hand that is +EV to play (and play aggressively) be junk? What criteria do you use to determine that AJo is a junk holding? Becasue if its not the EV of the hand, its the wrong criteria.

In fact, assuming you are using the EV of playing AJo as the criteria (which you must be, as anything else is just illogical), you yourself have said its not a junk hand, since you advocate playing it. Therefore your statement is directly self-contradictory.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the average pokerroom idiot is making .19 BB/hand with this junk hand, I'd hate to discover what your standards for a decent hand look like.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell by the tone of your post, are you saying that playing AJo here is still wrong but you can make up for the mistake? Or are you saying because NL is so different than limit, it gives different valuations of this hand so that it can be profitable in one situation and different in another?

[/ QUOTE ]

Entity is a good player. He can get away with playing this hand. I posted this statement because so many beginners fall in love with AJo and it's not really that great of a hand. Bottom line, it's still a marginal hand in limit especially when you don't have position AND there are EP limpers. In this case, Entity had a read on one of them and felt confident about raising this hand.

What are the stats for your AJo from this position? I'm just curious.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't make any sense at all. How can any hand that is +EV to play (and play aggressively) be junk? What criteria do you use to determine that AJo is a junk holding? Becasue if its not the EV of the hand, its the wrong criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

Position. Early limpers. Like I said, I'd open/raise this hand from any position, but I'd limp after two EP callers. The hand becomes slightly -EV after that.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The tone of your post implies that NL is just limit played for bigger stakes. The reason AJ is a weaker hand in NL is because when you hit the flop with it you usually either win a small pot or lose a big one. NL doesn't allow you to take advantage of this hand's straight potential either, because opponents can take away your odds. In limit this is a much stronger starting hand and not junk at all.

When you say in micros you can "get away with it", I guess you mean because you get odds to draw to a straight more often than you would in a tighter high-stakes limit game. But, this is the micros forum, and we're all here to talk about maximizing our returns in these types of game. I guess I just don't really understand the point of your comment.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:09 AM

(.86)BB/Hand [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

that's the only position it's in the red though.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Entity is a good player. He can get away with playing this hand. I posted this statement because so many beginners fall in love with AJo and it's not really that great of a hand. Bottom line, it's still a marginal hand in limit especially when you don't have position AND there are EP limpers. In this case, Entity had a read on one of them and felt confident about raising this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This clears up some of what I didn't understand, but I still don't agree with your statement about the EP limpers. I feel that EP limpers most likely have an equal or lesser hand than AJo, or else they would be raising.