Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 10:51 PM

Default PART 2, 3, & 4

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/p...neubauer02.htm

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/p...neubauer03.htm

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/p...neubauer04.htm

ENJOY

jdoe
Old 04-04-2004, 11:27 PM

Default Re: PART 2, 3, & 4

[ QUOTE ]
My losses for the trip were $1300. I figure about $400 were to BJ, Craps, etc which leaves $900 down playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shortly followed by...

[ QUOTE ]
I am a recreational player, that has enough talent to win anytime I play but I realize that over the long run I am a break even kind of player .

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I love what this game will do to you...
Old 04-05-2004, 12:20 AM

Check out this segment. I was laughing so hard, I almost fell out of my chair:

I get A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. There must be a misdeal. Mr. Utah bets, 9 seat raises, I raise, Mr. Utah raises and the 9 seat caps. Just us three. The flop comes 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Mr Utah bets, 9 seat raises, I call, Mr Utah raises , 9 seat raises, I call and Mr. Utah caps. There is now $155 in the pot. I am guessing 9 seat has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I am discounting anything Mr Utah has. The turn comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Well at least I have a shot at this monster, I am thinking. Mr. Utah bets of course, 9 seat raises, I call, Utah raise and 9 seat raises again. Wait a minute. The alarms are starting to go off. 9 seat is still raising in a boat board. He wouldn't have called five bets with a pair of fives would he? There is now $450 in the pot. The river comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Great, I made my nut flush and I think the 9 seat has a boat. Mr Utah bets, 9 seat raises, I call (can't get out now, pots too big) Utah raises and 9 seat only calls. Weakness, maybe I do have a shot! I call. (seat 9 flips over over a pair of 5's for a boat. I am now royally upset at Mr. Utah for costing me all this money when he should have known he had a boat. I look at Mr. Utah and he flips over 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for a straight flush. I am STUNNED!. This bozo five bet an 8-9 of hearts before and after the flop when he was a 600+ underdog to draw those two exact cards.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:37 AM

i really wanted to not like this article and make fun of him but after reading the last day it may be the most educating article for a novice who is thinking about turning pro.
Here is a guy who is 55 and has dreams of turning pro with very little experience even at the age of 55. You here guys at half his age with those dreams and not having any clue on reality of the every day grind. But i like the idea that reality hit him at the end of his trip with there is no way he would be ready.
if anyone has followed some of my posts in the past you know i have discussed making a move to las vegas, and not to become a pro player or nothing. Poker has some to do with it but i wanted a change. I hope that someone reads this article(TG) cause i received a phone call from a 2+2 er who really gave me a great pep talk about if i decided it shouldnt be for the reasons i wanted initially.
Good luck to all who stide to make the move to playing full time but get a 2nd opinion lol....
Old 04-05-2004, 12:56 AM

You sound like you have a great game plan and a good head on your shoulders. You have already lived out west -- like me so you know what you are dealing with.

Best of luck and if you need another pep talk I am all ears.

NJC (TG)

Old 04-05-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Another Doomed Wannabe???

I thought it was pretty cool what he did. He thought he had a chance so he went to find out. I'm sure he had a great time. So what if you guys don't think is Sven Sklansky?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This bozo five bet an 8-9 of hearts before and after the flop when he was a 600+ underdog to draw those two exact cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, calling all those bets on the flop with overcards, and on the paired board on the Turn was the logical thing to do...

My other favorite (or favourite) part is the description of JTs as his "favorite hand." Seems like many losing (a.k.a. "breakeven") players don't like playing hands that they expect to win, because when they get beat (with Aces or "cowboys") it stings them too much.

And the "breakeven player" bit, but that's already been said. And 2/4 just being about the "luck factor."

I was disappointed that he forgot to mention that a good player can't win any money at the lower limits because the rake is so high.

An educating look into the mindset of a poker player. It's the cards, dammit, I just can't get any cards!!! Dealer, change the deck! Table change please!!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 AM

I have a good friend who's a fair player who plays at Cantebury.....

He keeps begging me to come out to visit because he says the games there are full of fish. I don't know how this squares with this posters evaluation of the games there, but after reading his article and the description of his play, I'm tending to believe that the Atlantic Ocean has now moved inland to Minnesota........
Old 04-05-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Another Doomed Wannabe???

The best was the Tourney when he was 3rd in chips and goes all in with king queen with the two big stacks to go and ends up going out on the buble. Also Tipping 40.00 for the days previous tourney win???? The most you can tip on a tourney like that in my opinion is 20.00 even that is probably way to much. Just my 2 cents

Gene
Old 04-05-2004, 09:54 AM

What a masterpiece. Every time I thought it couldn't get any better, it did! The last hand is a classic.

Highlights not yet mentioned:
1) He cuts himself a 60:40 deal at a final table whilst having a 5:1 chip lead heads up and then celebrates his first 'tournament win'.
2) He has a pop at Mr Utah's drinking at the table, forgetting his earlier 'Captain Morgan and Diet' comments.
3) After blowing his tournament winnings in 5 hours at Bellagio he blames the venue ('No more Bellagio') before jumping up limits to 10-20 at the Mirage and starts to drink while playing.
4) He makes no mention of playing any other games but then attributes $400 of his losses to Blackjack and Craps.
5) He started the day at a 3 card poker table and then wonders why he's off to a bad start.

However, the real gem is, having read the entire thing, I went back to the first article and found this, "I promise not to much gloating or whining. Not too many bad beat stories..." LMAO

Somehow I don't think he will ever make it as a pro but, from what I've read, I'm sure he's one hell of a table coach.

That being said, at least at the end of it he recognized his own limitations (i.e. he was only a 'break-even player' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and, to be fair to him, he was taking a shot at a dream of his. In the end he was just another 'unlucky Vegas punter' returning home lighter in pocket like a few million others. It would have been far worse for him if he'd actually got lucky at the tables that week.

Sheriff

PS: Anyone know when the articles first appeared? My first thought was that it had been an April Fool wind-up article.