Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Reading Hands

Shaky hands is something thats reliable because people can't really control that all too well.

Do the complex tells (like if a player looks a certain direction and holds his cards a certain way) work? Some of the basic, intuitive tells seem to work well, but as they get more complex they seem like BS.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Reading Hands - tells

Tells are very important, whether it has to do with a glace at the chips or the betting pattern of a certain player.
A very good tell (found in Caro's Book of Tells) is found after a player looks at his hole cards(or after the flop/4th/5th are laid). If he glances at his chips quickly, it usually means hes tihnking about betting, therefor having a good hand. His "Strong means weak/weak means strong" section is quite useful as well. Check out the book, it will help some with picking up tells and realize which ones you are using. My 2+2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 05:07 PM

Tells, as important as they are, are overrated for most limit games imo. Things like betting patterns and playing styles are far better indicators to narrowing a player's hand than tells are.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's 1 tell I find reliable. When the guy's hand is shaking as he bets.

I was out of the hand but saw it again last night. A guy on my left raised and capped PF the guy on my right. Flop came J high. Raise - Raise. The board paired on the turn and I saw the hand of the guy on my right shaking as he put in his raise. J's full. He had it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the maniacs are trying to buy a pot, I find that their hands are shaking. The difference is that the shake is a little less obvious because they're trying to conceal the tell, whereas a bad player with a great hand is only thinking about the money he's going to get.

Combine tells with betting patterns from bad players. You can annihilate them.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tells, as important as they are, are overrated for most limit games imo. Things like betting patterns and playing styles are far better indicators to narrowing a player's hand than tells are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. The problem with tells is that they don't work against the really, really bad players, because they will be very overconfident with their Js2d in the hole with a KcJcTc board. Betting patterns are a much more reliable "tell" than anything you can get by staring down a player. One guy (a semi-pro) I played with at a home tournament, back when I was a weaker player, had mmy patterns down perfectly and trapped me with my AA in the hole against his middle set.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:02 PM

Exact card readings are a LOT more common when the opponent players predictably tight; yup you CAN often put a player on say "AJ" right away. It only comes up with loose players once in a while, usually after lots of raising has built such a pot that your read doesn't do any good: you are going to call this big pot anyway.

I believe the first step in reading is to at least try to figure out what YOU would have if you did what the opponent did; but be sure not to assume that that what's he's got. This excercise is best used when you are not involved. This excercise, actually, is used later to figure out what hand you are "representing" and can therefore figure out what some of the better players figure YOUR hand is.

- Louie
Old 08-16-2004, 07:18 PM

I think everyone's already said everything that could be said, but I'm going to mention this anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The key is to combine a normal range of hands with the particular player's betting patterns. Together, that should give you a very good indication where he's at most of the time (I'm talking average players here, not good/semi-pro etc).
Next thing after that is his typical play post-flop. Does he follow up his raises and fires at the flop? If called, does he shut down and show it down? If you saw him raise from UTG+1 with ATo, then KJs, then AA, then JJ, you now have a very good idea of what he's playing if you decide to call his raise with KQs or AQ. Obviously, calling with those types of hands is highly situation dependent but you know that if you get a good flop, you should be able to outplay him and your cards matter less (though if you happen to get something decent, it's always helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Kirk R.