Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: The scare card from hell $50NL

Haha, well I dunno I was kinda mad at myself when I saw his cards, I was wondering if somebody out there saw this coming, and apparently a few did.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:16 PM

I've seen the results, but nevertheless, he wouldn't check the turn with trips kings. The $8 bet probably turned out good, since you priced him in for a river chase and held up.

He'd likely have folded to a 1/2 pot-sized turn bet. I still think that's the right play, though.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:37 PM

It is very likely that he would check/raise with trip kings. So he would indeed check.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:19 PM

This is a hand where you let him have a free draw to his straight or flush. The turn flat out killed you. All you have now is kings and sixes with a 5 kicker.

Also, if you invest more money and he calls, he has so many outs on the river... most likely two overcards, straight and flush possibilities. I say check this down all the way. Not even sure calling a small bet would make any sense, unless hes a moron who does the old value bluff bet.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:42 PM

Would you really call a bet on the river here? And if so, why not bet small on the turn? If you're worried that your opponent will bluff the river if you check, then a turn bet is much better than calling the river because it makes it much harder for him to bluff you. I would say decide how much you would be willing to call on the river and then bet that on the turn. If you get any kind of extra action, it's an easy fold. It takes a bold (and rare) low-limit player to check-raise bluff the turn or lead bluff the river against someone who has been betting the whole way.

My 2½ cents.

-Solo
Old 09-09-2004, 07:13 PM

here that 2nd king gave him a pair of 6's and nothing else. all he can beat is a draw, so inducing a weak bluff-bet on the river is the only way to get more money out of the guy. if you small-bet the turn, he'll still draw, with good odds, and then can probably extract a 1/2 pot sized bet from you on the river if he gets there. this way you can snap him off if he does decide to bluff-bet, you can really hurt him the 8% of the time you do trip up your 5's or 6's (assuming he has a K) and you get a free card in a situation in which you could easily be far behind.
I guess the main way i see this is that you're now drawing on the turn most often, so why not take the free card?

fim
Old 09-09-2004, 07:27 PM

I agree with fimbulwinter.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can really hurt him the 8% of the time you do trip up your 5's or 6's (assuming he has a K)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the fact that if he has a king, you're drawing dead. Even if you make 5s or 6s full, he makes Ks full. I like a small/medium bet on the turn because it will prevent you from getting bluffed but also allow you to fold cheaply if you get raised. If you do check through on the turn, I don't see how you can expect to call any reasonable river bet without a very specific read on the player.

-Solo
Old 09-09-2004, 09:52 PM

that's why i advocate not betting the turn and calling a small bet on the river, whether you fill up or not. you have a small pair with a bigger pair on board, this is anot a good place to be, but you can extract more money from someone with say, TT or another underpair if you do fill.

bottom line: you ran into a terrible card but have not been given a reason to fold your hand, might as well make the best of it.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:29 AM

What about moving in on the turn? The way he bet seems consistant with a weak K, but what can he put you on? If he put you on a stronger king, the turn changes nothing. Wouldn't he be hard pressed to call with even KQ? He's got to fear that you have AK or even worse a set and just filled up. He'd have to put you on exactly 56 to think the turn made you weaker. If he's in with a flush or straight draw you're not letting him see a free card either. Going back to what he had, I see AKs reraising all-in on the flop which makes it even more unlikely that he has some other combination of AK and he didn't raise pre-flop either enforcing this notion.

Of course, being small stakes he might make a bad call with KJ or worse to your push, but I think moving in at least deserves some consideration.