Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 01:26 PM

Default $5 tournament, final two tables

Hi, with over 1400+ participants, I managed to survive and had a decent stack of about 100k until this hand came:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t12000 (9 handed)

UTG+1 (t229278)
MP1 (t67246)
MP2 (t273073)
MP3 (t232761)
CO (t156940)
Button (t58572)
SB (t95741)
BB (t108266)
Hero (t104764)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t36000</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t24000.

Flop: (t64800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t12000</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t68164</font>, BB calls t56164.

Turn: (t201128) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t201128) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t201128

I was thinking about going all in preflop but I was UTG so I figured a standard 3XBB bet would show strength while analyzing what my opponents may have. At this point, most people are folding because they don't want to risk their chips on stupid calls with not so good cards. BB calls so I figure he has at least two overcards, I was pretty sure he didn't have pockets because he would've pushed all in preflop to take the pot right there.

So my initial read when he bet on the flop was that he was trying to bluff with a small bet. The only card that scared me was the 8 so I thought I had him beat and pushed all in. How else should I have played this hand? Should I have folded right there? This person called my all-in preflop earlier with KJ suited when I had QQ and he managed to catch the king on the flop. Several of his plays were without a doubt questionable, he is either a great risk taker or a player who doesn't know how to identify hand strengths.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: $5 tournament, final two tables

I think I would muck 55 as well as 66 UTG at this point. You just have no information about what kind of hands are out there, and you will probably be out of position for the rest of the hand. Also, there are a couple shorter stacks that might go out and move you up in the money. Now, if I were in MP I would definitely raise this, but UTG is just too risky I think.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:19 PM

I would also muck this without hesitation. You have about 9 BB and are raising 1/3 of your stack; you can't even fold to a minimum reraise. Pushing is asking for trouble since you're betting 100K to win 20 and, in a $5 tourney, will be called by lots of equal or much better hands that still have no business calling you. This is a fold.

Since you raised and were called, then bet into on almost the best flop possible for you, you have to push. Oh well.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:29 PM

Yea I also tried to put some deception and hoping that he would put me on at least pocket Ts. Since in the past I have been raising with pockets. He also beat me earlier with KJ suited when I raised all in preflop with QQ and he caught the king on the flop.

It seems a lot of his plays were questionable, I believe if it was an experienced player he would have put me on pockets higher than 8. Also it didn't seem too wise for him to call my all-in considering he would be crippled to nothing if I did have higher pockets.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:44 PM

It being a $5 tourney, I doubt anyone noticed you were raising with pairs. He probably thought "Hey, I have 77 and can't fold that ever with this board."
Old 08-27-2004, 05:48 PM

If you have a loose caller, in the blinds or to act after you, it best to let those marginal hands go preflop. These 5.5 MTT are tough to get tricky with preflop, so many horrible calls.

If your table is making alot of loose calls with 2 tables left to go, just hang out. You'll more than likley make it to the Final table pretty soon. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks a lot guys, he got me good because I put him on two overcards, not A8. The small raise he bet made me think that he didn't have the 8 and I thought he was just trying to steal so I went all in for a re-steal.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:19 PM

I find that low pocket pairs always seem to get me in trouble late in a tourny, so I think this is a fold, especially UTG. In position I can see a raise where you can take control of the hand, and semi-steal the pot afterwards. You can probably wait for a better hand to push all-in with within the next couple orbits.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Well the thing is I actually did have position here. By raising 36,000 preflop everybody but the BB folded. Therefore he was first to act after the flop. And then I made the huge mistake by putting him on two overcards and not the 8.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:37 PM

your stack is fine and even after the blinds you have plenty of time to get your money in in a better spot. if you were going for a stop and go you have way too much stack for that and there is no need for that. i dont see why you would play that so early. you should fold this in a second. since it was a $5 mtt you should expect to be called by the bb with a8. ehhh i really dont like this play at all im sorry. you are fine! no need to risk your stack like that with such a marginal hand where the big money is only a few spots away!

off topic - i saw your post on pokernoob and i live in staten island i was wondering where you live and if you play any other home games like that