Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 PM

Default If they knew, you\'d certainly lose - quickly

Old 08-22-2004, 02:46 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: If you had Jacks every hand...

not really related to this question, but i realized that if i were delat jacks every hand i would probably play them better than i do now. that is to say, i wouldn't be as excited or assume they would win as much as i normally do.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Ironic you asked this question - I was in a live MTT and we were discussing getting AA every hand most of us agreed it would be hard to make the final table. Now some guy thinks you will WIN 95% of your tournaments with a miserable hand like JJ.

Guess it depends on how big a stack one would build early because he would be playing all the hands and as we all know AA or JJ for that matter does not win all the time. Not hardley.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:55 PM

Default If I had AA every hand I would go all in preflop every hand

simple
Old 08-22-2004, 01:17 PM

I guess that this thread shows good and not-so-good players. The good players know to avoid all-ins (Which is true in real MTT's too) While the others think you wouldn't do too hot due to suckouts (They don't realize the value of smart playing the pair). If I had AA or JJ every hand, I don't see how I couldn't win the tournament.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Really - now let's think about that - speaking as a guy who busted out of 8 tournaments at the carnival of poker with AA once back to back. All were pre flop all ins I couldn't avoid nor did I want to avoid.

SO you wouldn't go all in OK you will be folding to all ins when pre flop or on the flop. How are you going to bet these pairs. Will you call raises maybe multi raises back at you. On the flop will you be dumping your rockets to a draw or trips or an all in in case it's a set. I am trying to get a feel for your play here.

Sure knowing you will get AA next hand is a huge advantage but there is a lot of sharks to avoid on the way to a win.

I'd like to see some sims on this. It would be interesting.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ironic you asked this question - I was in a live MTT and we were discussing getting AA every hand most of us agreed it would be hard to make the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nearly impossible for you to not win the tourney if you got AA every hand. It doesn't even really matter if others knew you got AA every hand or not.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SO you wouldn't go all in OK you will be folding to all ins when pre flop or on the flop. How are you going to bet these pairs. Will you call raises maybe multi raises back at you. On the flop will you be dumping your rockets to a draw or trips or an all in in case it's a set. I am trying to get a feel for your play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd still play plenty of all-in situations, It's just that you would be doing it against people that you have decently outchipped. You'd build your chips initially (and throughout) by either playing smallish pots against people with 2nd best hands by making smaller non-commital value-bets after the flop or picking up the blinds/antes. Also, you will run across shorter-stacked players even early in the tournament and bust them w/o risking too many of your chips. As the tournament progresses, this would be the primary way you add to your lead. If you double some players up, so be it, there will be no shortage of short-stacks in the mid-later stages of the tournament.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:53 PM

Wrong just plain wrong. There is just no way to prove it but I'd bet a lot of money on it.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:10 PM

The fact remains that if you simply pushed all-in everyhand with AA, nobody could do anything to stop you except suck-out. If they don't suck out if the 1st 1 or 2 tries you will soon have more chips and be safely stealing everybodies blinds everyhand.

This is a very basic strategy that should win fairly often IMO (although certainly not 99% of the time). If you don't want to put all your money in preflop, you can just see every flop cheaply and only play when you flop the nut set. Unlike with JJ, nobody can stop you from seeing the flop since you should never fold preflop with AA.

Am I missing something?