Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Re: lmao at Annie Duke

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because "world class" at ANYTHING is not obtainable in 6 months of instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is if you are being tutored by Duke and Lederer, spend lots of time playing high stakes no limit on the internet, are Harvard educated, and are willing to lose tens of thousands playing high stakes no limit at the Commerce.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his first poker tutor was Amir Vahedi.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:43 AM

if you see Ben, tell him I thought he was da bomb in phantoms yo!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:43 AM

Sorry if the fact he didn't start at the bottom and grind his way up level after level offends you for some reason.

Haha, good one.

Your three points in this thead are:

1) Vehn said Ben Affleck's no good.
2) Annie didn't mean world class when she said world class.
3) I'm offended by Ben Affleck's poker success.

Even though no one has posted anything that implied that any of those things are true. Do you even read the posts you respond to, or do you just assume they say whatever you want?

As for me being jealous of someone else's success, you obviously don't know me very well. I have my faults, but jealousy certainly isn't one of them. It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to me if Ben Affleck becomes the greatest, or worst, poker player in the world.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:46 AM

Default World Class Player, Defined Precisely

I'm interested in this. If it 'should be obvious' who is and who is not world-class, OK I'm confused. Without a crisp definition of the term, this thread is you know, kind of funny.

Can we recognize a WCPP if we know...?....

...How many total WSOP bracelets?
...How many total WSOP/WPT final tables?
...How much total WSOP/WPT money?

Any other quantifyable measures of importance?

Assuming such definition is possible, once a player attains the status, can you ever lose it? How? For example how long do you have to go without any of the above to lose your WCPP status? Can you quit at the top, and remain there as a world-class legend forever? Etc.

How many WCPP players exist in the world at any one time?
Is it anyone with 4 or more bracelets, 14 or more final tables and/or 5MM or more in total tournament money?

Seriously, take a stab at this. But first, let's qualify who can post. We're looking for anyone with over 1500 posts, or at least one WSOP bracelet and/or 1MM+ in lifetime poker winnings. Anyone with the above credentials is strongly encouraged to respond.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Re: World Class Player, Defined Precisely

[ QUOTE ]
If it 'should be obvious' who is and who is not world-class,

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a total effing idiot? Way to completely misquote me.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have no idea how many hours he has played, how many hours of lessons he has had, how smart he is or how dedicated to the game he is so I think you cannot make this statement.

What about Scott Fischman who has only been playing a while? He is a world class player. Don't underestimate how far talent and dedication can get you in this game and how quickly it can get you there.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect to you, I think it diminishes the term 'world class' if it is attainable in only 6 months. I think that in any discipline whether its poker or basketball or chess or ship-building or anything else, it takes at the very least 5 years of intense study to become 'world class.' JMHO.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because "world class" at ANYTHING is not obtainable in 6 months of instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see in this corner we have Annie Duke, Dan Harrington, Doyle Brunson and several other "world" class poker players saying the guy is a really good player and in this corner we have.. ..Whats a Vehn?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2+2 legend so buzz off.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, a 2+2 legend vs. a real legend with 9 bracelets, a player who has pulled off 2 final tables at the WSOP in a row, and one of the best female players ever.

hmmm, let me think for a second.

although, i agree, he isn't "world class". he is good, get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this line of thinking. Its the same type of 'Slansky worship' type of thinking that goes on so much at this site. Just because someone is a pro or has written a book doesn't mean they aren't capable of being wrong.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Re: World Class Player, Defined Precisely

Vehn,

I'm not quoting you. The way you make it sound, the term is special and not to be bandied about loosely. I'm just trying to learn exactly what the term means from someone who knows, no offense intended.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:58 AM

Even though I don't think hes 'world class', I don't find it at all humorous or outrageous that Annie Duke made that comment. Basically its all a semantical issue anyway. And what do you expect her to say? Shes obviously good friends with him, so why shouldn't she try to complement him and try to make him look good on national t.v.?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vehn doesn't need me to defend him, but did you see him claim that Affleck isn't a really good player anywhere? Do you think that world class and really good mean the same thing, or did you just feel like some pointless flaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehn said that he was laughing his ass off at Annie Duke's statement. Do you think that implies he believes Affleck is a "really good" player, but just not quite "world class"--or do you think it implies he finds Duke's contention utterly ridiculous? I have no idea if Affleck is a great player or if he totally sucks, and frankly I don't care--but this subsequent "nuanced" distinction between "really good" and "world class" was NOT the point of his initial post: his initial post was to contemptuously dismiss Annie Duke's statement on tonight's show, which is a pretty good definition of "pointless flaming"--don't try to make it out to be anything else.