Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 06:11 AM

Default Re: O/T - Why in the world would ANYONE play the PS freerolls?

[ QUOTE ]
Just was registering for my nightly Heads Up tourney and saw 7000+ in their freeroll where the top 9 get a spot into a freeroll for $200 with hundreds of others. This has got to be the worst value for a tourney ever! Spend 4 hours and bust in 10th/7000 and get nothing! Just a random thought, who is playing these things?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a lot of people don't equate time as wasted when playing poker, because they do if for enjoyment. ROI isn't relevant to them. Winning money is the bonus, but they want to have fun on the way.

Why do people go to the cinema? They spent 2 hours sitting on their asses, and have zero prospect of winning anything?!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 AM

Because granted its a free roll, but doing very well in a massively mtt does mean something. After majority of the players are gone, you are down to either the A) Extremely Lucky B) Actual good players or C) People holding onto scraps trying to catch Aces or Kings and they get eliminated by the blinds.

Same holds true for the $1, $2 and $3 MTTs on 'Stars.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it really is 15-16 year old kids playing in the freerolls and then parlaying winnings to real money tables that is a VERY VERY dangerous trend these sites are starting. That is one of the few things these sites have to be diligent in stopping, underage kids playing, because if they get hooked the second they turn 18 they'll be on racking up charges on credit they cant support. This could turn out to be a huge problem in the next few years with online poker, that being that creditors won't get paid off and will be much more aggressive in stopping payment technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all 15-16 year olds who play poker will turn 18 and become gambling maniacs. I don't see this as being a big problem. Seems like an extreme generalization.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:02 AM

i got bored 2 weeks ago and didnt wanna play a cash game or a hold em tourney so i played in the stars stud 8/b freeroll and won.. it was enjoyable and cost me nothing, i then busted out in 91st in the second round stud hi tourney, bad beat but thats ok
Old 08-12-2004, 09:13 AM

"If it really is 15-16 year old kids playing in the freerolls and then parlaying winnings to real money tables".

- If a 15-16 year old kid really wants to play he will not bother with freerolls, it is not difficult at all to get some money at pokersites. Stars allows money transfers between accounts, and there are people on ebay selling real money, you dont want to tell me that there are no under 18s at ebay?? There are some people who offer these free 50$ deals at party... There is free money if you join pacific poker, in short everybody who wants to play can play.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:04 AM

I was in the NL freeroll on stars about 3 months ago just for fun while I was playing in other games. Me and a friend put 10 bux on who finished the best. There were 5000 and I finished 3rd and it took 7 hours. Of course he went out around 2000 so I could have quit anytime.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:39 AM

I learned how to play tournament Omaha8 via frerolls.

I entered a couple, and did quite well, while not even sure what I was doing, but figuring it out while I went along. I finished 18th in my first free roll - out of about 800 people. Only the top 10 cashed, so I got nothing for it.

My second one I finished 54th our of 800. I realized I might have something for the game.

I still prefer NLHE MTT, but I do enter the occasional Omaha, and have played very well, winning 1 and cashing in a couple others (out of maybe 10 entered).

So I would say a freeroll is a good way to learn a MTT for a game your not used to.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 PM

I'm not bashing freerolls in general, I play in them occasionally still. But the PS ones have 7,000 people and would take forever, not to mention you dont get anything for your time, and it can't be that enjoyable with maniacs going all in, all the time. My point was, there are other sites, with MUCH better freerolls to play in.