Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 PM

Default 5-10 NL hand need help

5-10 NL hand at the bike last night, I played several hands badly, and this one bugs me. I have KQs in 2nd position and make it $35 to go with $1100 in front, I get called in 3 places, 1 guy in MP who is running over the game, the CO who is a decent player and the BB. Flop comes

J-9-9 rainbow

BB checks, I check, and it gets checked around, Turn brings a Q, BB checks, I bet $125 and get called only by the MP guy with about $2K in front. This MP player doesn't seem very solid at all but has been running into some hands and had a good rush, when he calls I put him on a 10 with a possible pair like J-10 or Q-10, so if he doesn't hit a straight card I'm ok. River brings an offsuit 7, no threat, I bet out $250, and he quickly calls and turns over K-10 for the high straight. How did I play the hand and what should I have done differently, my game sucks of late and I am in need of advice.

-D.J.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL hand need help

i would've bet the flop. i play lower stakes, but in my games it's generally relatively easy to pick up pots when the board pairs. and if you get called, you have 4 pretty good outs and 6 okay ones.

given that you checked the flop, i like the turn bet when the Q hits. there are a lot of cards that could hurt you here.

i would check/call the river (or fold to a large bet). QT is just about the only hand that will call and lose here, unless you think AJ or JT will call. this seems like a good chance to let someone who missed a straight draw bluff into you.