Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Rebuys add too much luck?

[ QUOTE ]
Slamdunk - are there people who don't take the t2000 add-on? It seems like something you'd pretty much always want to do, since you get to triple up for only the cost of your original buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few. It's a good way to build the pot.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:31 AM

We also had this problem, we played 70 buy in 35 re buy, 10 man tourny. 2-3 guys were consisitently all in prior to the re buy deadline, & then the others would lose & not re buy therefore the pot only grew approx 3 x 35 so we made it 100 buy in no re-buys, ever since we have had much better played games.. Some players dont care about the money, so the only fear factor if you want to lable it is being left out of the game.. TRY IT, it really makes for better poker
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM

This has been the exact result of our $5 tourneys, w/ the unlimited rebuys and add-on people feel like they have more of chance, the prize pool is more than tripled but the same 3-4 players are always at the end, regardless of all the loose play early on in the game.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:27 AM

Do you allow rebuys in mid-hand or must players wait until the end of a hand to get more chips?

WiteKnite
Old 07-16-2004, 02:18 PM

I hate rebuys. Among my friends in my home tournaments, I don't want to penalize the people who can't afford to drop an extra buy-in or three on rebuys and add-ons. Seems like it gives a much bigger advantage to those with better jobs and whatnot -- and I hate that people will go in expecting to pay 3x the buy in for rebuys in add-ons when it's not a level playing field.

I absolutely think that people play much more aggressive (and in general stupid) when they know they can just drop another $20 and be right back in.

-d
Old 07-16-2004, 02:31 PM

I run a game in a restaurant that in 3 weeks has gone from 16 to 30 players. first two weeks we put it to a vote on rebuys and noone objected to unlimited for 1st hour.

when I saw the field was 30 last week I cut it down to 1 rebuy or two 1/2 rebuys. T1000 start and 2x500 or 1x1000 first hour as long as you weren't above 1000 after the buy.

If I get to 40 players I will allow one 1/2 only and when we get to 50-60 the rebuys are gone.

Yeah the guy w/ no house, kids etc. can play all night for $150 if he wants to and the married w/ house and kkids is against the wall. Also, rebuys add to the # of players entered!!!!! every full stack rebuy is another player whom faced no blinds or bets the first hour [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] not always fair.

I play alot of local tourneys and rarely rebuy so it still comes down to good play. DId I mention I win more $ then I spend?

Eric [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you allow rebuys in mid-hand or must players wait until the end of a hand to get more chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

End of a hand - the same as pulling cash out of your pocket.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:12 PM

I personally love rebuys - and I've only actually rebought 2 times. The way I look at it, skill will almost (almost) always win out in the end anyway. To me, the rebuys offer a chance for the wild and sloppy players to contribute more money to the purse. As long as you stay out of their way in the first hour and stay tight to your game, you will most always be able to take a big pot from some guy who is "going to rebuy anyway". Look out for those guys, and go right at them. They are looking for a reason to rebuy, and you'll be glad they did when you play them strong.

I've got a big local (private) tourney this weekend and I'm looking forward to the rebuys because there's going to be a lot of rich fat cats there. Not being a fat cat myself, I welcome their rebuys, because most of the big $$ guys will not be strong players.

Every once in a while a jackal player will get a great run of cards with rebuys and dominate the event for a while - a maybe even win. Rarely.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate rebuys. Among my friends in my home tournaments, I don't want to penalize the people who can't afford to drop an extra buy-in or three on rebuys and add-ons. Seems like it gives a much bigger advantage to those with better jobs and whatnot -- and I hate that people will go in expecting to pay 3x the buy in for rebuys in add-ons when it's not a level playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. One shouldn't generally play in a rebuy tournament if one can't easily afford to take as many rebuys as may be necessary (I'd want to have the cash on hand for at least 6, just in case). If it is making it so someplayers are able to get an advantage because they can outspend the others, that's definitely a reason to either eliminate rebuys or to lower the costs.

If you're having a $20 rebuy tournament and several of the players cannot afford to lose more than $60, they really shouldn't be playing in it...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:54 PM

I like it, and it actually makes it worse for those kinds of players. You get a decent stack early on, and you can gamble with the all-iners. They lose, they rebuy, and you have even more chips to get them next time. I saw a guy rebuy 11 times in the tournament (4 double rebuys and 3 singles). I busted him 3 times. A few other people did as well. Our table ended up with a ton of chips and we had a huge advantage when the table broke and we moved to another table.

If you lose against this guy by him getting lucky, rebuy and take his stack when you have the best of it. You can't ask for much more.