Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Can you ever play too tight in Omaha/8 ?

If you try playing any marginal hands someone always seems to have your hand wrapped up. If you play something like A2J8 your out against A23J. If you try to play KsJhTs9c your against AsKhJd2s. If you've got AQ34 some has AAQ2.
And that's only against one opponent. If there are multiple opponents sometimes the only way you can make the nuts is a flush. Can your starting hand requirements ever be too stringent?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Can you ever play too tight in Omaha/8 ?

[ QUOTE ]
If you try playing any marginal hands someone always seems to have your hand wrapped up. If you play something like A2J8 your out against A23J. If you try to play KsJhTs9c your against AsKhJd2s. If you've got AQ34 some has AAQ2.
And that's only against one opponent. If there are multiple opponents sometimes the only way you can make the nuts is a flush. Can your starting hand requirements ever be too stringent?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like Ray Zee's take on this question which to paraphrase is something to the effect of: if you are the tightest player at the table you will likely make money but you will miss out on some profitable opportunities. So my opinion is that, yes, you can be too tight. I have to say I'm about half in the bag as I write this, so take it with a grain of salt. Answering posts while toasted is a much higher EV than attempting to play PL Omaha, IMO.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:15 AM

Yes you can be too tight. If you decide to only play A23x with a suited Ace, that would be too tight. You would pay a lot of blinds waiting for these hands.

On the other hand many players could increase their profits by tightening up preflop.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:46 PM

Of course you can play too tightly, but what too tight is will vary depending on game conditions.

It may be fine to fold A-2-7-J against a raise and on a good tight table, but against a bunch of idiot hold'em players (no offense to smart hold'em players) that will raise with 5544DS or 10-10-7-3, folding would be too tight.