Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 11:33 PM

Default Stud @ Foxwoods

I could've sworn this was posted before I ran out the door, but I guess not. So if this is a double post forgive me.

I'm heading down to Foxwoods this saturday and had a few questions.

1.) I have about $150 to spend on poker. Will I be better off playing the 1-3 w/o ante or the 1-5? Bear in mind this is my first time playing stud at a B&M and my experience consists of $10 SnGs on PP and low limits on there as well.

2.) How are the waits for the stud games? Which line do you think moves fastest, 1-3, 1-5, or 3/6 HE?

3.) How do I play this game? Do I play super tight and wait for a hand to show up, or do I loosen my starting hand requirements and hope to catch a draw?

Thanks for any and all help in advance as always.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Stud @ Foxwoods

I would definitely recommend that you play the $1-5 game. It should be more profitable, and it should be more fun. Well, if you stink, you will lose your money more slowly at $1-3. $150 should be enough for one session. I think someone mentioned plowing through $400 in that game, but I'm going to guess that that individual didn't play particularly well on that day.

I haven't been to Foxwoods since last August, and I wasn't playing $1-5 when I was there, so I don't know about waits. I didn't think they had $3/6 HE--they had $2/4 and $5/10 with a full kill. I could be mistaken, and they might not have exactly the same games. As for which game you can get into faster, you're allowed to put your name on multiple lists, and you can just wave them off if you're happy where you are.

As for loosening up, how much you should loosen up depends largely on how aggressive the game is. If you can get in for $1, it is worthwhile to limp in with all kinds of speculative hands--gapped straight draws, small pairs with indifferent kickers, etc.--because of huge implied odds, assuming you have reasonably cooperative opponents. If there is a raise on third street, or the threat of a raise behind you, you should probably play reasonably tight. Super-tight is definitely not the way to go in this high-ante game.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:09 AM

The HE games at FW are $2-$4, $4-$8, $5-$10 w/ a kill, $10-$20 and $20-40.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:49 AM

The 1-5 game is hands down the better game over 1-3. No ante, low stakes, big rake -- you just have to play tight, it's very boring. 1-5 wi/ .50 ante on the other hand is very loose. just play your normal game, most of the players will be super loose, super bad, super calling station. After you win $100 in this game, consider moving up to 5-10 stud, also .50 ante. Play a little tighter, the players still suck. THESE GAMES ARE VERY GOOD.

As Mitch said, FW spreads 2-4 ultra soft but big rake, 4-8, soft but a bit more aggressive, same rake as 2-4 and a 5-10 game with a kill.

Lists are huge -- arrive before 11 a.m. if you can.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:39 PM

Very true on the lists, IIRC they open new tables at 10 AM and fly thru a big chunk of any list they have at the time, so if you can get there and be on the list at 10 you shouldn't have to wait much.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the great info. One more question...

Could you explain to me how the betting structure works for spread limit? Are you able to raise anywhere from 1-5 on all streets or just certain ones? Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:18 AM

You may bet anywhere from $1 to $5 on any given street, but all raises must be at least as big as the last raise on that round. Say there's a $2 bet and a $3 raise, if someone else wants to raise, he must raise at least $3. For all practical purposes, once there's some money in the pot, most bets are $5, and there's really not much point in betting any less.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:20 AM

I am that guy that plowed through $400 in a day at 1-5 stud.

In all fairness to myself, I was my traditional game - maybe a little on the tight side, but with the calling stations that were playing, I figured it was just a matter of time before the cards evened out and I went on a tear. Unfortunately, that didn't happen till the next session. That day, I couldn't catch a winning hand to save my life, and sat at the table for ~10 hours. It was a horrible session. I saw 4th maybe 10% of the time, and 5th maybe 2%. I showed down less than 10 hands, all told.

Now, this was in a game with a $1 ante, so that was the major culprit. In a 1-5 spread game with no ante, 150 should be more than enough, if you're a solid player, and don't plan on spending an excessive amount of time playing.

Peace,
Matt
Old 07-04-2004, 12:44 AM

Im going to break the mold and say the 1-3 no ante.
you aint got much to play in a $5 game with a 50 ante.
and you have never played live poker before.

sit the small game at least for a few hours get the feel for the real deal. then move over if you wish.

besides with a pittance for a steak you cant afford to take any kind of balonie.

be patient and sit the small game for a couple 4 hours.

timmer

just my few cents
Old 07-04-2004, 11:33 AM

Fifty cent ante in that game, right?

I'll sit and win until the cows come home, but I won't sit and lose for as long as you did. There's just no reason to lose more than about $200 in a game that size.