Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: First 150 SnG\'s Analysis Wanted

Don't take it too far though... i bust out 4th/5th because i'm already playing for first a LOT more than i have to. I think i also lose some second places that i could get if i wasn't overzealous to double through.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:05 PM

If I'm reading this correctly, you made it to the Final Five about two-thirds of the time in your 150 SnG sample. And if I recall correctly, it takes about 45-60 minutes to complete a SnG.

So estimating the amount of time you've been playing on the conservative side (in your favor), you've spent 40min. playing * 150SnGs = 6,000 minutes or 100 hours of play time to make $200. That's $2/hr. That's essentially the same as earning 2BB/hr at the .5/1 stakes...were you doing better before in your ring games?

Trust me, I went through the SAME process myself. I thought that SnGs were more fun than the ring games. But after playing $10 SnGs for a month, realized that my BR had barely even moved. ALL THAT WORK, and little to show for it. So I starting "grinding it out" in the ring games, again, and haven't looked back ever since. Once you move up in stakes, the rewards will multiply...and so will your BR.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:08 PM

I think profit-wise ring games have much more potential, but fun wise and BIG paydays tournaments are the way to go. If you're good at SNG's it isn't a HUGE jump to being good at MTT's. Win just ONE (granted it's difficult) of the large tourneys and you have a life changing amount of money.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:10 PM

I agree 110%. That's why I think MTTs are more "worthwhile" to play than SnGs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 09:38 PM

also if you move up to 30 or 40 dollar sng's then you're making 6/8 bucks an hour which isn't amazing, but not horrible either... and can be decent if you get 2 going at different times.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your ITM isn't bad, but your ROI is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bit harsh - its positive and, as such, can't be described as horrible.

Room for improvement? Most definitely, but horrible is too harsh a criticism for me.

As for the rest of your advice, I couldn't agree more!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for my choice of vocabulary. I should have said, "needs improvement."
Old 06-28-2004, 11:29 PM

Great advice on this thread.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:04 AM

All there responses are great.

Praying Mantis: I see what your saying. I will loosen up and try to steal more blinds in the 4-6 people range to put me in a better position when its ITM. I personally don't like playing in the early rounds because even if I have group 1 or 2 hands, I get called by so much junk that I'm never sure if I have the best hand, and I would rather outplay them later than lose to someone who caught 2 pair or something rediculous. I even tend to limp in with premier hands and hope they hit because if I raise and I don't hit, I basically have to lay it down to a raise because other people could be playing with anything (assuming my premier hand isn't an over pocket pair).

TJD: I have found myself in this position numerous times where I'm waiting for someone to get blinded out, only to find myself being blinded out. I will be trying to loosen up on my raising/stealing standards so that this won't happen.

Richie Rich: This is a big question I am having right now, play all SnG's or play all ring games. One reason I like SnG's is beacuse there is always "guarenteed money." When I play NL50 at Party, I prefer that the pot avg's are $35+, and that often isn't the case. I also require that I play 3 or 4 tables at a time in NL50, and if the conditions aren't right, I usually don't play. These might be too strict standards, but its how I've been playing. With SnG's, there is always money to be taken. In response to your question I was definately making more than 2 BB/h at NL50. However, this month I am completely free (summer break with no job, my friends at summer-school, and waiting till mid July when I go on a real vacation) so I have had a lot of time to play. I have often found myself playing for 5+ hours a day. I got extremely bored playing multitable NL50, not to mention the games aren't "good" for 5+ hours a day. Maybe things will get better when I have a more normal schedual, but I figured this would be a good time to try SnG's (a lot of my friends only play SnG's so I wanted to give it a try). I would definately move up in to (20+2) once my game got more solid. I would assume that not only would I make more money, but also place better as time went on, so I believe that "2 BB/h" rate for SnG's would go up. During this month I have also tried 6 max games, but haven't made a verdict on those yet. I guess you can say that with all the free time this month, I'm trying everything, trying to figure out what I like and am best at.

In response to the idea of MTT, I'm not sure where I stand on those. I don't think I have the skill right now to do well in them, but I am also very curious/intreseted in trying and getting better at them. However, MTT seem to me a lot more like a lottery, and I have a hard time spending $25+ on something that will take me many hours, often to only make minor profits or even not make the money. Maybe I need to change my mentality on them, but as of right now, I think of them as a "splurge" or lottery that I play for fun in hopes of winning big, but realistically think I will come back with nothing.

Again, thanks for all the responses and I hope to get some more from this post.

-aesic
Old 06-29-2004, 01:41 AM

ROI Return on Investment - i.e., buy in amount is 100, win 50, profit 50, ROI is profit/buy in, 50/100 or 50%

Voluntarily Put Money in the Pot - i.e., not a forced blind or ante
Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 AM

Besides not being aggressive enough on the bubble, the other thing that stands out is 12 tenth place finishes.
Are you getting married to AA or KK and can't release when they're obviously no good after the flop?