Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Default $30+3 Party Limit MTT last night... a few hands.

Reminder it's a limit tourny.

Hand 1. Blinds are 400/200 and I'm in the BB w/ 53s. I have about 50% more than the average stack. UTG+1 raises and there are 2 callers, the SB folds. There's 3k in the pot and I need to put in 400 to call. Is this +EV to call?

Hand 2. Blinds are 500/1000 w/ a 25% above average stack. I'm in mid position w/ AKo, everyone folds to me and I raise w/ one caller on the button, everyone else folds. flop comes 47J 2 suited. Bet out and fold to a raise? check call? check and fold to a bet? I've been at the table for a while and the chances of him not betting if i check are slim.

Hand 3. Similar to my post yesterday. Blinds are 500/1000 and I still have an above average stack. I'm just off the button w/ AJs, all fold to me and I raise. The button calls and the blinds fold. Board comes AJ8. Bet out? check raise the flop? Check, call? This is vs. the same opponent as hand 2.

Results:
Hand 1. I folded. The flop came 246. Just curious if the odds justify calling at 7.5 to 1.

Hand 2. I decide i'm going to check raise as a bluff and he reraises to three bets and I fold. I think the correct play would be to bet and then fold to a raise. I think this was a bad play.

Hand 3. I go for the check raise on the flop and am hoping he reraises since the previous hand was not so long ago, but he folds. Leads me to believe he had something at least on Hand 2.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: $30+3 Party Limit MTT last night... a few hands.

Hand 1: With 7.5 to 1 pot odds and a large stack, I would definitely call this. It's pretty easy to check-fold this hand if the flop doesn't hit you big.

Hand 2: I bet out here and usually fold to a raise, depending on my read of the opponent.

Hand 3: A check raise is fine since your read indicates he will not check through, and you showed previously that you could fold to a 3-bet. On a rainbow flop I would be tempted to check call, but only if I read my opponent as aggressive enough to bet out on the turn if I check again.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:58 PM

Hand 1. At 7.5 to one I'd probably call any 2 cards, especially suited, and fold when the flop misses. When it hits you (2 pair, trips, straight) slowplay and you're most likely taking down a huge win. If you flop the flush be careful. Any A of the suit is going to call or raise here, and you may already be beaten so use good judgement.

Hand 2. Bet. You may take it down right there. If he plays back then fold unless you think he's making a play.

Hand 3. Love the check-raise here. Even if two of the cards are suited I'd take my chances against a single opponent.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Ok, I think I agree w/ both of you as to what the plays should have been. I do like evaluating my hands after the fact and try and see where I lost bets and where I could have gotten additional bets.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2. I decide i'm going to check raise as a bluff and he reraises to three bets and I fold. I think the correct play would be to bet and then fold to a raise. I think this was a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used this exact play more than once in large buyin limit events. I think it works well against aggressive but thinking players,and works better live than online.