Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Buying in

I know a lot of people have a formula for how much money to buy-in for in a HE game, but never heard anyone's thoughts on stud. I ask this mainly since I want to try my first B&M game in a few weeks. Any advice?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Buying in

Hello,

Depends on what type of game you are buying in to?

I am going to assume that you will be playing lower stakes.

For a $1-3 I would say buy in for a rack, and have another $100 behind you.. If you go thru a couple of hundred in a 1-3 game, you probably will need to work on your game.

For a $1-5, I would say double the above ( although thats probably an overestimate )

You just want to make sure you always have enough on the table in case a situation develops where each round of betting in a hand is capped..

CJ
Old 06-20-2004, 08:41 AM

I generally do the overkill thing and buy in for 50 big bets. 25 is probably enough tho. the thing is I don't like to be seen rebuying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 06-20-2004, 11:12 AM

There should be no chance of you plowing through $400 in a $1-5 game, should there?

I usually buy in for 25 times the maximum bet, the same as I do in hold'em. I usually have another 25 big bets in reserve as well. If it's a $3/6 game, and I'm just waiting to get a seat in another game, I might buy in for only $100.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:11 PM

Depending on the ante, you can in fact drop 400 at a 1-5 game. I ran through a little more than that over a 15 hour B&M session, and I'd estimate I saw 5th less than 15 times on the night. The cards just were not there to call. Always be ready for this possibility, especially if the game you're at is one that is easily beatable. It's damn near impossible to walk away when you know that if you just picked up remotely reasonable hands, you'd be cleaning these people out.

However, 200 is almost always more than enough for me at a 1-5 game.