Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Big Deal

Allow me to preface my remarks by stating for the record that Anthony Holden is a brilliant author and his book, Big Deal, captures the public cardroom experience masterfully.

That being said, I just read it for the first time and was surprised by how seemingly poor of a player Holden actually was. Did anyone else get this impression?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Big Deal

Agreed. He was a "professional poker player" in the sense that George Plimpton was a professional football player.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was a "professional poker player" in the sense that George Plimpton was a professional football player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read someone refer to George Plimpton as "a professional amateur." That still cracks me up.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm a big fan of this book, having first read it last year when I started to take an interest in poker.

I re-read it a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how my thoughts on the play of hands had changed. It highlighted to me how much my own understanding has developed over the months.

It still doesn't detract from the book though, which is still a great read. In many ways Positively Fifth Street has surpassed it but, personally, I like the contrast the two provide which shows how much the game (and particularly the WSOP) has advanced over the past 15 years or so.

Sheriff
Old 06-15-2004, 02:33 AM

A ripping yarn by one of the lads from across the pond! I really loved this book, even though I read it when I wasn't even playing hold'em.

I have to go back to it sometime soon just to find that part where he gives one of his mentors, A.Alvarez(also the writer of another famous really good poker book) a short, funny poem asking how to tell his wife about the money he just lost playing poker, and Alvarez responds with a poem including in part something like, "Take my advice/Divide by ten."

Lot of personality in that book, I really loved it. And it's a nice contrast to the s*** kicking, hard living style of some American poker books. It was kind of all the more fun seeing a more genteel Brit type getting his elbows dirty mixing in with the rest of us mongrels in The American Game.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:08 AM

I totally agree that his "outsider looking in" perspective was entertaining. On the whole, a great book. I only was surprised by the fact that, for a guy who was, for a year, a self-proclaimed professional, he sure did squander a lot of his 'roll on entry fees to major tourneys. On the other hand, I suppose a three hundred page play-by-play of endless grinding sessions wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:02 AM

I was astounded by how much money he blew on creature comforts and assorted niceties. Like when he flew, he didn't hesitate to take the Concorde, which sent his expenses through the roof. And he would fly out for something then fly back home right away for some indulgence, just to soon be flying once again. This guy worried about his bankroll, but at the same time, he seemed to take very heavy spending as just completely the norm.

He needed to live a little lower on the hog and control his expenses. And plant his butt and get in a lot more good old-fashioned butt-deflating grinding. More earning, less spending and globe hopping.

Still great fun reading all about it though. Couldn't help but like the guy and tear through the pages at a good clip.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was astounded by how much money he blew on creature comforts and assorted niceties. Like when he flew, he didn't hesitate to take the Concorde, which sent his expenses through the roof. And he would fly out for something then fly back home right away for some indulgence, just to soon be flying once again. This guy worried about his bankroll, but at the same time, he seemed to take very heavy spending as just completely the norm.

He needed to live a little lower on the hog and control his expenses. And plant his butt and get in a lot more good old-fashioned butt-deflating grinding. More earning, less spending and globe hopping.

Still great fun reading all about it though. Couldn't help but like the guy and tear through the pages at a good clip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holden set out to be a pro for a year and then write a book about his experiences...This meant he did not need to worry about spending his bankroll or any of the other things that a pro needs to worry about.