Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Playing Great Hand w/ Awful Flop

How do you play the following scenario:

You are in Early Position, great starting hand (AA, KK). You raise 3xBB and get three callers and BB.

Flop is awful, JJx 1010x QQx, 8910, 3 suited. How do you play ?? On a flop like this it seems probable that someone would hit it. Do you still bet out anyhow, if so how much ? If you check, someone's going to bluff it anyhow figuring you think you're beat.

thanks in advance...
Old 06-16-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Playing Great Hand w/ Awful Flop

I normally make a potsize bet on the flop if I've raised preflop, it helps in figuring out where you are, and more often than not with all these weak tight players you find yourself picking up the pot...
Old 06-17-2004, 05:52 AM

If the board pairs then against 4 random hands there's only about a 1/3 chance that someone has the open trips. This figure might be a little higher if the pair on board is high since people will be more likely to play hands with these cards but it won't jump too dramatically. If you bet out with a pot-sized bet on the flop people usually run in fear of a paired board and in my experience I'll take down the pot at least 1/2 the time making it a profitable play. Beware if you get a caller though. People love slowplaying open trips.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the board pairs then against 4 random hands there's only about a 1/3 chance that someone has the open trips. This figure might be a little higher if the pair on board is high since people will be more likely to play hands with these cards but it won't jump too dramatically. If you bet out with a pot-sized bet on the flop people usually run in fear of a paired board and in my experience I'll take down the pot at least 1/2 the time making it a profitable play. Beware if you get a caller though. People love slowplaying open trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interresting figure (33% chance of trips). I tried to replicate that result, but couldn't. How did you arrive at that percentage?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interresting figure (33% chance of trips). I tried to replicate that result, but couldn't. How did you arrive at that percentage?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 cards out there to make trips, about 50 cards left. 1/25 chance per card times 2 cards in a person's hand = 1/12.5 chance a random hand made trips. if 4 hands are out there, thats 3 * 1/12 = 1/3.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:30 AM

I actually calculated this as follows:
(45/47)(44/46)...(38/40)=.685 = chance no one has the trips
Therefore, the chance that someone has the trips is 1-.685 = .315 or approx. 1/3