Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Early Position Raises

I was lucky enough to get AK twice tonight UTG. I raised preflop both times. I came out betting on a flop of rags both times, and got two callers.

The first time when a 4th rag came on the turn I checked. The other players checked as well. I bet the river and got a caller who had made one pair on the river. Effectively I gave him a free card letting him suck out on me. The second time I bet the turn card and both players folded.

It is a standard play for me to bet the flop when I raise pre flop from early position, especially if the flop is rags. If all the other players do is call in that situation should it be a standard play to bet the turn as well? Or should I be getting away from two big cards at the point?

Thanks,

deke (aka BlindChippy)
Old 06-08-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Early Position Raises

overcards

Here's a thread from not too long ago playing overcards.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:19 AM

I think it depends on how many players are in the hand, and what the stakes are. At lower limits, I've found that people are unlikely to fold (which is usually what I want to have happen with just overcards). They'll call all the way to the river with bottom pair and beat you.

However, I will bet the whole way if I'm heads-up--at any level--unless I'm re-raised.

You should find at higher levels that people fold more often and you will take down raised pots more often with just the overcards.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:26 AM

Betting all the way unless raised, without taking into consideration a lot of the different factors that go into the play of each individual hand is a recipe for pissing away a lot of bets, regardless of the stakes.

Do a search for "overcards". There's probably only about 500,000 posts about it. You should find plenty of information to keep yourself occupied with this topic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One thing you will find for sure is this: There's no "standard" way to play them.