Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Bluffing on Party

Played 300 hands last night and was completely even by the end of the night with very statistically typical hands. Went back through all my hand histories for the first time in months, won 100 BB. Of this I lost 10 to better hands. Lost 40 to hands I could have played better (slowplaying, etc..) I lost the remaining 50 BB to bluffs.

Of the six or so bluffs in 300 hands five of them were reasonable and well timed. It just seems like no one on party NL wants to fold even with bottem pair.

I am going to play for the next few nights and try not bluffing and see the results. Any comments ?? For what it matters I am consistently winning over the course of the month.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Bluffing on Party

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like no one on party NL wants to fold even with bottem pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wait for big hands at party. I make a lot of money on people trying to 'bluff'. Now at Pokerstars, where the players are generally tighter and I play at higher limits I'll run a bluff on a player I have good notes on. But it just doesn't seem like there's much point at the Party Poker tables.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:34 PM

Hi,

You don't mention what limits? Go through PT and look at the play of the people you tried to bluff. Did they normally fold? Did you fail to notice they had a tendency to call?

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like no one on party NL wants to fold even with bottem pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wait for big hands at party. I make a lot of money on people trying to 'bluff'. Now at Pokerstars, where the players are generally tighter and I play at higher limits I'll run a bluff on a player I have good notes on. But it just doesn't seem like there's much point at the Party Poker tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

i diagree, i think alot of party players play very weak, and there is a whole bunch of money to be made by bluffing in the right situations. but, there seem to be certain bluffing situations that works better than others against the average party player.

well, i guess the validity of this post depends on the limits.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, i guess the validity of this post depends on the limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough statement. I play the 6 person max $50 buy in. I rarely bluff unless I've watched a player enough to know they have a brain in their head. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM

but, i think if your not auto betting some flops when you miss, especially when you raise preflop, then your losing alot of potential money. especailly in 6 max. theres lots of money to be won by playing aggressivly in 6 max imo.

also, ive heard that he 50NL is the weakest of the 4 party limits for some reason. your making money in 6 max 50 by only betting and raising real hands?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but, i think if your not auto betting some flops when you miss, especially when you raise preflop, then your losing alot of potential money. especailly in 6 max. theres lots of money to be won by playing aggressivly in 6 max imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

i definitely agree with this. i raise pretty frequently before the flop playing 50 6max and it's rare that i don't make an almost-pot-sized bet on the flop after raising. i've found that most players will call if they have a decent hand or draw, fold if not, and raise only with a very strong hand. i have seen very few bluff-raises, so stealing a lot is the way to take advantage of that.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:18 PM

Cornell,

I think I haven't stated my position very well. For example, if I have AK suited and raise and the flop comes rags, I'll generally lead into it. And yes, I do pick up many pots this way. When I think of a bluff, I think of an opportunity when I make a 'that's a weak bet' read and then move on a guy with a hand that I don't think is a winner. Hopefully, I have some way to improve in case I get called down, but it's more me playing him than me playing my cards.