Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Balls

From John Vorhaus on Ultimate bet:

Wheels within wheels, right? Wheels within wheels. A few hands after the break, Fossilman raises to 120, and John Murphy reraises to 300. I'm sitting here thinking that I've started to detect a trend: Greg bets, John raises, Greg lays down. I guess Greg saw the same pattern, because this time he came back over the top for all his chips, and this time John laid down.

Now here's the punchline to the joke: Greg showed his hand: T-8 offsuit. I guess you'd say it was a purpose-raise and also a purpose-reveal. Greg wants John to think twice before he reraises so cavalierly. We can predict that we'll see this betting pattern again... but will it mean the same thing, and will Greg have the same cards?

It's no-limit hold'em, kiddies. Everyone's always setting someone up for something.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Re: HOLY CRAP!

I don't like it at all, but that's just me. Of course I'm not there and of course Greg must have had a hell of a read. Still don't like it.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So that if you get QQ next hand you eliminate someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I get that, but doesn't it make it harder for him to steal again without having a monster?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Raymer Knocks out Scharf

Poker Voice is saying that Scharf had doubled up right before this hand, though it doesn't say who he doubled up from.

[ QUOTE ]
8:48 PM
Eddie Scharf eliminated in 15th by Greg Raymer.
Scharf got all in preflop with K-Q against Raymer's Q-Q. The flop came J-9-4-7-4.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-28-2004, 12:03 AM

Default UB update on Greg, he\'s got guts!

8:39PM vegas time
Wheels within wheels, right? Wheels within wheels. A few hands after the break, Fossilman raises to 120, and John Murphy reraises to 300. I'm sitting here thinking that I've started to detect a trend: Greg bets, John raises, Greg lays down. I guess Greg saw the same pattern, because this time he came back over the top for all his chips, and this time John laid down.

Now here's the punchline to the joke: Greg showed his hand: T-8 offsuit. I guess you'd say it was a purpose-raise and also a purpose-reveal. Greg wants John to think twice before he reraises so cavalierly. We can predict that we'll see this betting pattern again... but will it mean the same thing, and will Greg have the same cards?

It's no-limit hold'em, kiddies. Everyone's always setting someone up for something.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:04 AM

Right, I get that, but doesn't it make it harder for him to steal again without having a monster?

Ah, but who is going to reraise someone with, say, 22-99 A2-AJ/Q, if they know the guy they are reraising might put them on the spot.

One possibility is he wants his opponent to make bigger reraises which would allow Greg to double through when he gets the hand.

If you are up against someone who routinely picks off your reraise with an all in, the way to stop it is to push all-in yourself.
This however leaves you exposed, and could be what Greg is trying to achieve.

Lori
Old 05-28-2004, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, but who is going to reraise someone with, say, 22-99 A2-AJ/Q, if they know the guy they are reraising might put them on the spot.

One possibility is he wants his opponent to make bigger reraises which would allow Greg to double through when he gets the hand.

If you are up against someone who routinely picks off your reraise with an all in, the way to stop it is to push all-in yourself.
This however leaves you exposed, and could be what Greg is trying to achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Now that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, Lori.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:10 AM

Of course, the chip leader can't double through, but you get the drift [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 05-28-2004, 12:13 AM

When I saw that I was wondering if Greg was perhaps thinking about tilting the kid--Murphy being 21.

Doug
Old 05-28-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Balls-He Showed A Monster Last Night....

...guess he wants 'em to know he could have anything! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]