Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Project: Back to basics

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I have total confidence at any live low or mid limit game but struggle more with low limit online games.

I think it's more than likely a simple answer, you are more in tune to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you're right. Now if I can just develop the discipline to stay in tune. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 12:46 PM

Interesting post Sublime. I feel the same way.
[ QUOTE ]
I realized something, my game is "missing" something. I have the concepts, I am just missing the glue to hold it all together.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts on what may be "missing"? Is it as simple as experience? Everytime I post a hand I seem to get the answer right as I work my way through the hand in slow motion, I just misplayed the hand in the heat of the moment.

Just out of curiousity, why back to .5/1 instead of 1/2?

Play well!

deke
Old 05-27-2004, 12:50 PM

Just out of curiousity, why back to .5/1 instead of 1/2?

1/2 has less table selection than .5/1 and is therfore a lot more tight. While I need more hand experiance, I would also like to profit the most. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What are your thoughts on what may be "missing"? Is it as simple as experience?

I my case I feel it is.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brick and mortar is slower than online.

Q: Does that give you more time to analyze your odds or study players?

Q: Are we slaves to the 20 second buzzer?

[/ QUOTE ]
My opinion is 20 seconds is more than enough time to analyze any situation. I think a lot of the mistakes I make online are mistakes I realize I am making but do anyway at times purely from lack of focus or lack of caring about the extra couple of dollars. I guess it's a form of tilt just not the way you usually think of it. I don't do this often but I know there are times that I do and certainly it doesn't help my win rate. I honestly believe that right now this is the biggest part of the game I need to work on although certainly not the only part.

I do think though that B&M's are definitely easier to play as far as reading players. For one thing it is just easier to read many players when you are face to face but I think an even more important issue is you don't have new people at the table every round at the B&M. You play with the same people for hours at a time and on many occasions. You really get to know your opponents rather than at best having a few notes from the one or two times you've came across them online.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:45 PM

Wow... at least I'm not the only one having trouble w/ 2/4.

I started w/ $20 at .50/1. Grew that to $400 in about 2 months. Made it to about $900 after an additional 2 months at 1/2 (had an initial setback adjusting to the tighter tables), then switched to 2/4.

2/4. First 100 hands, I was up 25BB. I was in heaven.

The very next day, down 90BB in about 250 hands... ugh!!!

I lost my confidence and went back to 1/2. Been there for about 3 weeks now (playing about 250-500 hands 4-5 times/week. Just now recovering my bankroll. To prepare for 2/4 at PP, I've done a few things:

1. Play TTH w/ the loose line-up (about 5k hands).
2. Re-read HPFAP loose games section (about 3 times).
3. Play .02/.04 tables at PS (actually tighter than 2/4 at PP).
4. Play .5/1 at PP (real loose tables).

I think my play is getting better in the loose tables. My mistakes I made in my first attempt are all based around not making the proper adjustments for loose tables. I put too much faith in TPTK, overpairs, and 2-pairs. I let myself tilt a little and bled chips w/ bad cards (not too much tho).

I will probably dedicate this weekend to playing the .5/1 tables at PP until I feel comfortable before making the switch to 2/4 again.

Initially, I think I will look for 2/4 tables with a pot size of about $25-30 (not too loose) and slowly work my way up to higher pot averages.

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put too much faith in TPTK, overpairs, and 2-pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What changes did you make? Have you eliminated some starters, or changed your betting?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put too much faith in TPTK, overpairs, and 2-pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What changes did you make? Have you eliminated some starters, or changed your betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into a bunch of problems w/ hands like AK and AQ (still play the heck out of them tho and usually raised pf unless facing a raise w/ AQo). If the flop came Kxx or Axx or Qxx and had TPTK w/ 7 or so seeing flop, I would be ultra aggressive. I lost big time doing that. Always seemed to be up against low trips or 2pr or someone hitting a straight w/ crappy cards.

I am now much more observant on how many see the flop. If 4 or less, I play much more aggressive than with 7. With many seeing the flop, I play much more drawing hands and play less hands like AJ, AT. I play more suited connectors, depending on position and number of limpers. I'm now less likely to raise hands like AQs in SB or BB if 7 limpers.

Overall, I'm still working on pf strategy and strategy on the flop. If I have a TPTK, I will bet out on flop but if called by 4 or 5 others, I will slow down... check-call to river if not against a scary board. I need a few thousand hands to work on it.