Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 02:00 AM

Default Re: surprising espn article

andy your rational is incredibly stupid. You could trivalize any sport and make it sound simple.
Swimming is just swimming
marathon is just running
football is just throwing, hitting and running. Do you see my point?
I don't know much about boxing, nor am I much of a fun, but I imagine there is a lot of skill and technique invloved in boxing. I have some experience wrestling and I know in wrestling its all about senses your opponents move and then trying to perform the correct counter, all the while not getting your ass handed to you.

I agree I think Boxing is probably the hardest sport, but I have a problem with some of the team sports listed on here. Some posisitions are easier in team sports than others. Its harder to be the pitcher than it is the rightfielder. thats probably my only rant with the list, oh maybe also the fact that fishing is called a sport.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:10 AM

I think boxing would be pretty tough if I was fighting anyone better than me.

I have no idea why they think horse racing requires more analytical ability than golf though.

Or why auto racing requires almost as much hand eye coordination as table tennis and more than calf roping.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:28 AM

lol
Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 AM

"Or why auto racing requires almost as much hand eye coordination as table tennis and more than calf roping."

The consequences for failure of hand eye coordination in auto racing are a tad more severe in auto racing than table tennis.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Alpine Skiing ahead of Rugby, Lacrosse, and Water Polo???

I'll preface this by saying I raced competitive Slalom and Giant Slalom for a club team and my high school for 7 or 8 years. As such, I can't believe they ranked Skiing ahead of sports like Rugby, Lacrosse, and a tie with Water Polo, its simply not that difficult. It scored high in nerves, (as it should, especially if you start talking about the speed events) and pretty evenly across the rest of the board, so I guess that's how it got so high. The glaring error they made involving skiing was in Speed. It looks like in other sports they mean this to equate to foot speed, see the low scores for NASCAR and Horse Racing. Yet somehow skiing scores higher than soccer in Speed. They obviously used a double standard here in qualifying speed, if you dropped the Speed for skier's from 7.4 to about 2.4 its overall rank would plummet.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:56 PM

Other sports have a goal other than trying to beat their opponent into a bloody pulp. Hitting somebody is not a sport.

A swimmer has the goal of getting to the destination faster than his opponents. He doesn't try win by drowning them. A marathoner has the same goal as a swimmer; again, he doesn't trip his opponents in an effort to beat them.

But in boxing, the measure of winning is phsically abusing your opponent until he can't compete any more. It's barbaric, unlike any other sport.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've never watched a boxing match in person from close range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or gone 3 rounds with head gear. I have and I can say, I would consider boxing the hardest hitting sport.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:03 PM

As a former pugilist, I agree.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:33 PM

"But in boxing, the measure of winning is phsically abusing your opponent until he can't compete any more."

So what? Nobody's forcing them to box.

"It's barbaric, unlike any other sport."

Not quite, IMO, since they enter into the contest of their own free volition. Apparently, in the minds of the pugilists, the financial rewards are more than adequate compensation.

Bullfighting: now there's a barbaric sport.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Bullfighting isn't a sport, it's an art.