Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Too aggressive with 99?

Pacific Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Only real read at the table is MP3, a known call station who has been getting run over by the deck lately...

Preflop: JerseyTom is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">JerseyTom raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">JerseyTom bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">JerseyTom bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, JerseyTom checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

A second overcard with this many callers worries me, so I check it through (figuring I "won't be called by a worse hand, only a better one.")

Final Pot: (11 BB)

Results in white below:
<font color="white">
SB shows Ts 9h (one pair, sixes)
JerseyTom shows 9d 9c (two pair, nines and sixes)
MP3 shows ?? ?? (hand histories not available at Pacific)
CO shows ?? ?? (hand histories not available at Pacific)

JerseyTom wins 11 BB.
</font>

Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive with 99?

I "think" you played it well, I also "think" you lost.

EDIT: Ok then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].....Well i still say you played it well, I am amazed nobody had an A/K....
Old 04-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Looks good to me.

I like that you are aggressive despite the ace, but checking through on the river is a good call, I think. In an any-ace/king game, you could be behind to someone who is just calling beause they don't like their kicker, or put you on trips.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Question...

when you checked the river if someone had bet would you have called??

not sure what i would do...
Old 04-26-2004, 05:00 PM

You must bet the turn.
I think you can fold to a river bet, although its pretty close depending on how passive your opponents are.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Question...

[ QUOTE ]
when you checked the river if someone had bet would you have called??

not sure what i would do...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... me either. If the bet came from MP3, I honestly think I might fold (but I'd say a lot of naughty words before doing so).

I think my oppenents would have a hard time putting me on a 6 or even an 8 with my PFR and my check on the river tells them I don't have an ace or a king. That only leaves pairs 99, TT, JJ, QQ or perhaps some other anomaly like 98s (I'll occasionally pop in a raise with this hand...) For someone to bet into me on the river, they'd have to have a pretty good read on me and/or possibly have slowpayed a 6...
Old 04-26-2004, 05:12 PM

I think you are usually behind on the river. Nonetheless I wonder if it might be right to bet. This works well when you are ahead as you may gain several bets. You might conceivably find someone who would fold TT or JJ because of your preflop raise combined with the overcards on the board. And if the A or K has made someone's hand you may very well have a non-choice between betting and check-calling. You can safely fold to a raise unless one of your opponents is very special.

The idea is that even if betting loses money on the river, it might lose less on average than check-calling. This argument would be tighter if you were first. If SB has the only bigger pair you are making a mistake. You also need to consider whether your opponents are such sheep that they will think "thank goodness he forgot to bet his set of aces, I check!" You want opponents who actually will bet behind you when they have a hand.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
conceivably find someone who would fold TT or JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't TT or JJ have played this more aggressively earlier on? Re-raised preflop and/or raised on the flop?

Old 04-26-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Question...

[ QUOTE ]
For someone to bet into me on the river, they'd have to have a pretty good read on me

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this is true you might want to start paying off more on the river...people will try to bluff after you check the river a lot...
Old 04-26-2004, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't TT or JJ have played this more aggressively earlier on? Re-raised preflop and/or raised on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they were 2+2ers they would have, but many common calling station type players seldom raise ever, and forget about raising preflop, youve only seen 2 card [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It is not uncommon to see someone check/call all the way w/ QQ/KK/AA...