Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Super tight tourny play

In the beginning play a few more hands with the small blinds to try and build up a buffer for the later rounds. Dont go overboard with this just a few more if the conditions are right. As the blinds go up you tighten up because one wrong move cant end it for you. When you get three or four people left you can loosen a little bit. When you get heads up be very aggressive, not maniacal, but aggressive. This strategy gets me in the money a little more than half the time and the very aggressive heads up strategy wins me first rather than second 90% of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I hope this works well for you if you decide to use it.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:15 PM

I just tried this stratgey.

WOW FUN!!! <sarcasm>

I played a grand total of 3 hands out of 40. 1 time in the big blind, 1 time with AA. And my grand finale all-in becuase the blinds were going to kill me anyways (figured QTs was pretty much as good as I could expect, too bad the guy who called me had 99 and flopped another 9).

Guess this works best when 4-6 players lose out in the first 2 rounds, as the one I just played had 7 players left
in round 5 when I busted out.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I totalled up all the hands:

AA KK QQ JJ TT 99 (6 each)
36 starting hands

AKs AQs KQs AJs KJs ATs QJs KTs
QTs JTs A9s T9s A8s K9s J9s (4 each)
60 starting hands

AKo AQo KQo (12 each)
36 starting hands

for a total of 132 starting hands out of 2652, that means I'm playing 4.977% of everything dealt to me. My ring game VP$IP% according to PT is between 24% and 25% (not the tightest, I know, but I still come out ahead) so I'm playing 1/5 the hands of my normal ring game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering if you aren't looking at this wrong...or maybe I am.

I see 24 starting hands with (trusting your numbers) 132 different combinations for these hands. You are still only playing these 24 hands, in various combinations that don't matter, out of 1326 (trusting again). So you are looking for 24 hands out of 1326 (1.80995%) which is probably skewed because the 1326 hands is most likely for the whole game/tourney. So let's fourth that 1326 / 4 = 331.5 because you say you play that tight (or close too) until some are eliminated. So now you are looking for 24 hands out of 331.5 (just under 7.25%), this sounds more reasonable.

My point is this, if those are the hands you want to play tight with great, but there are only 24 starting hands...various combinations of the suits doesn't really matter because if it doesn't meet the criteria of suited you won't play it eliminating the need for the increased number of combinations.

Sorry if this got too long, complicated, or over thought. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]